Thread: Can I edit a shared parameter within a Project which is linked to another project?

Login to Give a bone

Question Can I edit a shared parameter within a Project which is linked to another project?

So my dilemma,

We have a project of a building which is a typical building that we use on many different sites. We have set the building up as a separate "building project" which we can then link into the final "site project" and complete all the site works and additional components.

This is all working fine, however, we have some bollards, which are in the "building project" file, which are typical for EVERY instance of the building, however we need these bollards to either move down to the level of the site (for sloping sites) or stretch down, for the visual aspect in elevations etc.

I have made the family "bollard" with a parameter which can be changed for each instance of the bollard to change the height/level of the bollard, however this only works within the original building project. (where you can physically select each bollard to change the height)

Does anyone out there know if there is a way to modify these bollard heights/levels from within the "site project" that the "building project" is linked into? (my issue comes from the fact I can't individually select the bollards within the linked project, only the project as a whole)

We do not want to change the original bollard heights, as this will effect all "site projects" which the "building project" is linked into and every site is different.

At the moment our only option is to insert the bollards into the "site project" and position them, however we were hoping to get these to work within the "building project" seeing as they are typical for all instances of the building and do not change, no matter what site the building is on.
    (trying to make life easier by using Revit). The bollard family has "shared parameters" by instance.

Can anyone shed some light on if we are setting our hopes too high?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can I edit a shared parameter within a Project which is linked to another project?

I think you might be overshooting here.
    You cannot adjust individual parameters through a link. You would have to adjust them in the actual model you are linking (your "building project"), but that would be a mess. I think you are correct in placing those directly into the "site project" unfortunately.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can I edit a shared parameter within a Project which is linked to another project?

thanks Gabecottam,

Our fears were realised. We had hoped to do it the other way, but it was causing a headache, straight into the site project it is then!

Thanks anyway