Thread: Input pressure at water main?

Login to Give a bone

Question

I need a way to incorporate the minimum daily static service pressure at the water main into my model. When you cap off the end of the water main, is Revit making an assumption about the service pressure to the building? If so, I suppose I could "disguise" a mechanical equipment family as cylindrical mass and input the service pressure and use that as my water main. It seems that a bit of a workaround though. Any ideas?
    Last edited by johnslansing503973; 2012-09-28 at 04:33 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Input pressure at water main?

Quote Originally Posted by BIMster View Post
    I need a way to incorporate the minimum daily static service pressure at the water main into my model.
    What do you need this for? Is this to just provide documentation on the drawings/model somewhere what is available from the utility?

When you cap off the end of the water main, is Revit making an assumption about the service pressure to the building?
    No.

If so, I suppose I could "disguise" a mechanical equipment family as cylindrical mass and input the service pressure and use that as my water main. It seems that a bit of a workaround though.

Any ideas?
    It would really depend on what you are trying to accomplish. Could you clarify?

Login to Give a bone

No, I was actually wanting to incorporate it for design calculation purposes. From my knowledge about water supply design (which is somewhat limited), the most accurate way to design a system is to design by friction (rather than velocity method). Doesn’t this require the service pressure to the building? I just don’t see how you can be sure that you have adequate pressure on the upper floors without knowing this. My understanding could be really off.

IPC instructs designers to figure out the water service pressure, subtract static head pressure loss, and subtract other equipment (such as water meters and softeners); leaving you with the pressure available to overcome pipe friction.

Login to Give a bone

No, I was actually wanting to incorporate it for design calculation purposes. From my knowledge about water supply design (which is somewhat limited), the most accurate way to design a system is to design by friction (rather than velocity method). Doesn’t this require the service pressure to the building? I just don’t see how you can be sure that you have adequate pressure on the upper floors without knowing this. My understanding could be really off.

IPC instructs designers to figure out the water service pressure, subtract static head pressure loss, and subtract other equipment (such as water meters and softeners); leaving you with the pressure available to overcome pipe friction.
    Right, to know that you have adequate pressure at the remote fixture, you need to know the pressure avaialble from the service.

Revit sums the pressure losses in the piping network to the most remote fixture, including water meters and softeners (assuming you provide values for them). The value can be found by selecting the piping system, by creating a piping system schedule, and using the pressure loss report.