Thread: Fields between tabs

Login to Give a bone

Default Fields between tabs

OK all you field use pro's. I want to put a piece of text on "tab-1" and use fields in "tab-2" that references the text on the first tab. (I've experimented with using the "Object" type and it works great if the original object is on the same layout tab.)

My idea is to input an address on the first page, and have that address used on the other tabs - sort of like a titleblock or an xref, but in different locations on the other tabs. I'm trying to avoid the steps of going to File--> Drawing Properties because we have temps, interns, and other folks who just don't know what a field is or can do (...or maybe just won't be bothered to learn how they can be used.)

Any thoughts?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Fields between tabs

Create a temporary text object in the tab that contains the source field information. Then link to the object's field information you want. Then cut and paste the string out of the temporary text object into the tab you want the information on.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by fishervb View Post

Any thoughts?
    Create block of the text or mtext object. Put as many copies in as many places as needed. Use BEDIT to change.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by fishervb View Post
    I'm trying to avoid the steps of going to File--> Drawing Properties because we have temps, interns, and other folks who just don't know what a field is or can do (...or maybe just won't be bothered to learn how they can be used.)

Any thoughts?
    How is a "magic linking" going to be any easier for the interns or idiots to use?!

Train them to use DWGProps and the fields are easy to use and maintain. What happens when your poorly trained people edit the field to plain text rather than the source object. That's just as easy a mistake for them to make. (Oops I edited the data on Layout3 rather than Layout1.)

Seems to me that it would be easier to train the users to always edit the data in DwgProps.

Train them, don't bandage them.
    R. Robert Bell
    Design Technology Manager
    Stantec
    Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Stantec.

Login to Give a bone

Couldn't agree more, but the decision to train / not train them isn't mine to have or argue for. Like the ideas, though - I think i made it work the way I was hoping to - thanks to soe savvy folks.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Forgive me for being an "Idiot Intern" but could someone put this in an example file those of us that are having a hard time visulizing this? It sounds like the fields are being placed on the Tabs of the layouts and then being linked together. I am hoping this is not the case. I hope this linking fields between two or more Paperspace Layouts. This is what i need to do as well as link tables between same and link fields to tables and viseversa. Please help. Thanks