See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Migrating Hatch Patterns

Login to Give a bone

Default Migrating Hatch Patterns

Greetings,
    I am migrating 2004 from to a new machine. I have exported and imported an .arg file. As we all know that doesn't get everything. Right now the missing peice is hatch patterns. I copied the the acad.pat file from the old support path to the new one. The hatch patterns are the not defaults don't show up in the bhatch tool.

Old machine Windows XP x86
    New machine Windows 7 64 bit. So the support directory is buried in a (x86) path

Puzzeled,

Paul Ackerman

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Migrating Hatch Patterns

Migrating from 2004 release to... which? I wouldn't recommend using an ARG to migrate settings between versions as there can be many changes, especially in search paths. Best to do the setup yourself, if only to familiarize yourself with the new system variables, options, and support files.

Not sure about your wording about the hatch patterns. Missing what, the defaults? Or something you customzed, or added? Or...? Keep in mind the acad.pat isn't the only file in use, there's also the ACADISO.PAT file used for metric files. The new version of AutoCAD should have both available, including any updates which were added by AutoDesk. Rather than copy files wholesale it would be better to copy only the customized content from one to the other.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks,
    Migrating 2004 to 2004. Old machine to new machine. The .pat file on the old machine has several custom patterns in it. I copied the .pat from the Support directory on the old (x86) machine to the new 64 bit machine into it's support directory over the out of the box pat file. i checked the contents of the pat file on the new machine and the new "custom" patterns are in there. However, they do not show up in the hatch pattern dropdown in bhatch.

All AUGI, all the time arshiel88's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I forgot how the Hatch dialog looks like in 2004 but custom patterns don't usually show together with the default patterns unless you append the custom hatch definitions to the acad.pat or the acadiso.pat. Custom patterns are on a different tab named "Custom".

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by arshiel88 View Post
    I forgot how the Hatch dialog looks like in 2004 but custom patterns don't usually show together with the default patterns unless you append the custom hatch definitions to the acad.pat or the acadiso.pat. Custom patterns are on a different tab named "Custom".
    I'm not sure now but, for that to work, I think each custom pattern should be in a separate .pat file, each with the same name as the pattern it contains.

Login to Give a bone

It can work either way. The custom patterns can be added to the acad.pat or can be separate files. If they are in the acad.pat they will show up in the dialog with the other predefined patterns.

Look at the acad.pat file with notepad and see if the missing patterns are in there. If not you either copied the wrong acad.pat or you need to find the individual .pat files on your old computer.

Login to Give a bone

the acad.pat file is appended. The missing hatch patterns are indeed in the contents of the file.

Login to Give a bone

Is your new computer finding the acad.pat with the additional patterns? It may be finding another copy of the file. Type (findfile "acad.pat") at the command prompt. It will return the path to the file it finds.

Login to Give a bone

findfile = unknown command

Login to Give a bone

You have to include the parentheses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast