Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: INVALID SOLIDS

All AUGI, all the time arshiel88's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: INVALID SOLIDS

Your UNITS precision must be set to 0.00000000 (i.e. 8 decimal places) to be able to see the difference. ID the endpoint of the arc and ID the endpoint of the line.
    I agree that testing each entity is not a solution here. But I used that to illustrate my point/suspicion that the problem starts from the profile. Forget about testing each entity, what I want to suggest is to make the profile as neat as possible from the start (maybe next time) to avoid invalid objects. Sorry if its not a swift solution , I just don't know a way to fix this.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by arshiel88 View Post
    Your UNITS precision must be set to 0.00000000 (i.e. 8 decimal places) to be able to see the difference. ID the endpoint of the arc and ID the endpoint of the line.
    I agree that testing each entity is not a solution here. But I used that to illustrate my point/suspicion that the problem starts from the profile. Forget about testing each entity, what I want to suggest is to make the profile as neat as possible from the start (maybe next time) to avoid invalid objects. Sorry if its not a swift solution , I just don't know a way to fix this.
    arshiel88,
    Still can't replicate your results re the end points of the line and arc.
    ALL my entities where extruded from regions, which MUST have ALL the end points co-incidental.
    When the entities were first created they were valid solids BUT at some stage later they became invalid.
    This happens to a lot of the solids that I create on most drawings - VERY FRUSTRATING.
    I appreciate your interest in my problem and thank you for your reply.
    Regards
    JohnB

Login to Give a bone

I have run across this problem before. It seems to sometimes crop up when performing boolean operations to create more complex solids. I've also noticed that it can depend on the computer you are using. I've had geometry that was invalid on my home computer and valid on my work machine for the same file. This leads me to believe that it might be a graphics card issue. I hope this helps.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by 3d generator View Post
    I have run across this problem before. It seems to sometimes crop up when performing boolean operations to create more complex solids. I've also noticed that it can depend on the computer you are using. I've had geometry that was invalid on my home computer and valid on my work machine for the same file. This leads me to believe that it might be a graphics card issue. I hope this helps.

3d generator,
    Thank you for your reply. This seems to be a common problem. I have tried the drawing on all the machines in the office, they all give the same results.
    I was hopeing that someone could come up with a lisp routine to highlight the invalid solids to make it easier to find and correct them. I cannot find what
    makes a solid invalid therefore I cannot write a lisp routine to test for this.
    Regards
    JohnB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12