Thread: Door hardware visibility linked to keyed hardware schedule?

Login to Give a bone

Default Door hardware visibility linked to keyed hardware schedule?

Wondering if it would be possible to link our hardware schedules yes/no hardware parameters to visibility parameters in our door families?
    Would this be approached using shared parameters?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Door hardware visibility linked to keyed hardware schedule?

Possible, yes, practical, no... I mean, in my head there are about 10 hardware sets in a project (so doable) but when I hand my schedule and drawings over to my hardware consultant they identify upwards of 50 or more. Managing the number of options for each door with a series of yes/no, or family parameters, doesn't seem practical. I'm still looking for a way to get at least some of the more important information (locksets, closer, kickplates, etc.) in the model and tied to the schedule.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

We use a hardware group in the schedule, which references the specifications. The specs can be tied to Revit using E-Specs for Revit--or a simple Hardware Group List either in the Specs and/or the drawings.

We have not tried to model all the hardware in the door families, for obvious reasons--but it COULD be done if it were required by the project/owner--it would just take quite a bit more time/effort.
    Such effort would need to be justified and value-adding to the job.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cliff collins View Post
    We use a hardware group in the schedule, which references the specifications. The specs can be tied to Revit using E-Specs for Revit--or a simple Hardware Group List either in the Specs and/or the drawings.
    This is the way I have done it in the past as well. I also used key schedules to manage my hardware groups.

Login to Give a bone

Yes, currently we use hardware groups as well. I was just thinking it would be nice to use symbolic lines to graphically show hardware in our elevations by having those visibility parameters of the door controlled by the hardware groups. But as Greg said you start with ten and end up with fifty. So i think we will probably be moving towards E-specs

Right so that was the next thing my boss brought up in our conversation was E-specs. I would really be interested in hearing how well you find this software to work. That and any other relevant forum threads on E-specs. How about project managers who dont use revit but who are involved in developing the specs. Is the learning curve similar to revit?

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

E-Specs itself is simple. Just like editing specs in MS Word. The complex part is that it uses a database to link to the Revit model, using Assembly Codes from Revit tied to "Bindings" in E-Specs.

It actually works very well once it is set up. Getting it set up is tough--I'd recommend having the E-Specs team come in and customize it for your first "pilot project"--it is well worth it. They get it set up quick and correctly the 1st time. Then once it's implemented, using it on subsequent projects is a snap.