Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sluggish CAD files

Login to Give a bone

Default Sluggish CAD files

where i work, we have a master 3D file that is XREF'd in to other files to create drawings. the problem is that the files (for most people, at least) are so sluggish that it makes working in them difficult. we are using AutoCAD 2012 with CADWorx 2012. i understand that CADWorx is a fairly resource-intensive program to begin with, but we shouldnt be having the problems we have. drawings are slow to load, working in them is sluggish (at best), and it can take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes to get from one sheet in a file to another.

it is worth mentioning that most of our computers are:
    either i5-650 or i7-870
    12.0-16.0GB RAM
    graphics, im not sure on. they are generic ones that came with the machines, each has 2 SLI cards.

so, the question i have is, is there anything that can be done? would it be a network issue? i'm at a loss on what to do about it.
    Last edited by mattdbrown024829887; 2012-12-12 at 03:34 PM.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Sluggish CAD files

CADWorx itself is fairly light. Are the people loading the XREF also running CADWorx? Check the settings, there are some utilities which can run automatically like clash detection. I would assume you are also working in 2D wireframe and not one of the rendered visual styles?

And now, stupid question time: are you controlling the annotation scales?

Edit: SLI means *nothing* to AutoCAD, only some games.

Login to Give a bone

i was going to make this a very long winded response, but in short: yes, yes, and yes.

also, i mention the SLI just to be thorough enough, i realize that it is more for gaming.

AUGI Addict
    (getpoint "Anywhere on the Enter Key =>")
    Login to Give a bone

Have you tried this?
    1) make a copy of the 3D master file
    2) purge the copy file or clean up any unwanted stuff.
    3) xref it to a drawing.

Will this make any difference?

Login to Give a bone

though it is a policy here to regularly purge the 3D files, i doubt its being done. this is something i should check into, but i doubt it is the issue at hand. will report back, gentlemen.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mattdbrown024829887 View Post
    though it is a policy here to regularly purge the 3D files, i doubt its being done. this is something i should check into, but i doubt it is the issue at hand. will report back, gentlemen.
    Oh, the amount of times I've heard that purging regularly is policy... as is drawing block components bylayer on 0. But, let's face it, it's seldom actually done.

I make a practice of purging the files that come into me. Sometimes the size reductions in the files are so significant, that in itself speeds things up. ~fingers crossed~ It helps.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattdbrown024829887 View Post
    Oh, the amount of times I've heard that purging regularly is policy... as is drawing block components bylayer on 0. But, let's face it, it's seldom actually done.

I make a practice of purging the files that come into me. Sometimes the size reductions in the files are so significant, that in itself speeds things up. ~fingers crossed~ It helps.
    We purge our drawings regularly too... The user's just don't actually have to do anything themselves (other than Save/Close). I use Visual LISP Reactors, and hook .NET Events to do this for us automagically. Same goes for placing specific object/entity types on predefined layers (i.e., External References, Images, etc.).
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by RenderMan View Post
    We purge our drawings regularly too... The user's just don't actually have to do anything themselves (other than Save/Close). I use Visual LISP Reactors, and hook .NET Events to do this for us automagically. Same goes for placing specific object/entity types on predefined layers (i.e., External References, Images, etc.).
    I wish more of the companies that do work for us understood the magic of automation.

We had a huge project wrap up a couple years ago. Many of the drawings submitted did not even remotely comply with the CAD Standards, despite all the noise I made at the beginning of the project to start thinking about it ahead of time. I rejected the Architectural and Electrical files and they were sent back to the respective companies to finish up before they'd receive final payment (props to the PM on our staff who didn't back down to pressures to just close the project out and trust to promises that we'd receive the files 'later').

The architectural firm (Christner, I'll brag about them!) turned over hundreds of corrected drawings in less than two weeks.
    The electrical guys (they'll remain nameless, because I'm nice like that) called a little 'come to Jesus meeting' with the PMs and me complaining that my standards were stupid and they'd be at it for months and it would cost us a lot of extra money. I corrected some of their misconceptions and eventually got the files. I told the PM we shouldn't pay them the extra charges because the compliant CAD files were clearly spelled out in the bid documents and so we were not contractually obligated to reimburse them for their carelessness and inefficiency, but, I will assume she paid them anyway.

I'm sorry, I digress.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    I wish more of the companies that do work for us understood the magic of automation.
    I wish my own employer would care to understand the magic of automation (we can get to the appreciate part later), but sadly, they don't even have any interest in basic CAD Standards at this point... Any and all customization, and programming is done on my own time, off the clock, during lunch breaks, nights and weekends (they don't even really know what I am capable of, as I wouldn't be compensated for it anyway; what's the point).

/Vent

... As an example, right now I have Visual Studio 2010 Express (C#) open, and am continuing to work on my annotation standards plug-in, which essentially allows a user to take any annotation entity (i.e., Dimension, Leader, MLeader, MText, Text, etc.) and manually change it's layer via Properties Palette, and the selected entity(s) are automagically updated per user-define XML settings (loaded by the FindFile() Method) for that entity type, and that specific layer (think Existing, Future, or Proposed).

This manor of configuring the annotation settings via XML, makes it easy for a user to have a new client-specific standard... Simply copy the XML settings file to that client's Profile location, and configure (in one location) the client's standards, using their layers, text heights, MLeader styles, etc., and for everything to again work automagically.

I'm presently culling an article by Kean regarding the Overrule Class in an effort of getting my annotation standards plug-in to work more instantaneously (when the layer is changed) than it does currently using the EnteringQuiescentState Event.

/OffTopic
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

i like automagically getting these things done. but, that aside, purging hasn't unclogged things much. im starting to think this is just a networking problem, which i happen to know nothing about. i'll be sure to post more updates when we start to figure things out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast