Thread: 2013 Default View Templates

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Angry 2013 Default View Templates

It has just come to my attention that AutoDESK took away our ability to apply the "default" view template to all views on a sheet. And you can't apply the default view template to a group of files ... or even a single view!

How stupid is that?

STUPID !!!!!!

We can no longer use this important tool to control and manage our projects.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: 2013 Default View Templates

You can still aply a view template to all views on a sheet.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/e...8-Applying3198

There wer however some significant changes to the way view templates are applied and assigned (2 different actions with 2 different meanings) to views. You can check this page for more information and there is a video showing the workflow on the main change in view template behavior from 2012 to 2013.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/e...4-View_Tem3194

Login to Give a bone

Not really jeffh. The instructions say you apply a picked view template to all the views on a sheet and then "...If any view in the sheet has an assigned view template, a message asks if you want to partially apply the selected template to the views." But that process does not allow you to change anything that was controlled by the view template - only settings that were not controlled.

The old way worked.

Now if I need to turn something on temporarily in a view, either I go to a view that has no view template or I have to get rid of the view template assignment. What a nightmare ! I know my staff will be setting it to none all the time and then who will set it back.

Login to Give a bone

Instead of doing what they did, AutoDESK should have added a lock capability. Revit users are well aware of locks.

Login to Give a bone

I am sorry you are unhappy with the changes. The intent was to make the use of view templates more predictable and not have a need to reapply templates to views over and over again. Assigning a template to a view effectivly "locks" the view. Making changes to a view with an assigned view template is much more intentional now and a user should have a good reason to do it. If your users are setting the assigned view template to "none" so they can temporarily change the Visibility and Graphics settings, the "apply view template to all views" can be used to reapply template settings. The change here is if you have multiple views placed on a sheet which use different assigned (default) view templates. This new option allows for only one template to be globally applied to all of the view on the sheet. The previous method allowed for different default templates to be reapplied per view.

I think with both methods there is QA/QC needed to insure the correct view templates are applied to views. One way to do this in 2013 could be to create a view list and include "View Template" as a field. There you can see if "none" has been assigned to any view it should not be and then re-assign from the schedule.

Login to Give a bone

They over complicated this!

I rarely have sheets where all views have the same template so the change "apply view template to all views" is really stupid. I assign the correct template.

In every project that I have ever worked on, I always find a need to change something, temporarily, in a sheeted view. For modeling, we use working views where VG is a free-for-all but sheeted views are normally all set with view templates. Our control is to always before printing to apply default view template to all views. The control was there, now that is gone ... and really stupid! I will always have to now review your dam schedule .... and remember what view templates should be set with every view.

STUPID! STUPID! STUPID!