Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calculating Fixture Units after a Cleanout or Fixture Carrier?

Login to Give a bone

Default Calculating Fixture Units after a Cleanout or Fixture Carrier?

I have not been able to calculate Drainage Fixture Units below a Clean-Out on a Lav Stack. I replaced the Clean-Out with a Sanitary Tee and then it does calculate. Both families have all connectors set to Fitting. Any ideas?

Also calculating Fixture Units after a Fixture Carrier. I have followed the "Get Connected Revit MEP Connectors Demystified" AU Class to no success. Help would be much appreciated.

Using Revit 2013.

All AUGI, all the time JoelLondenberg's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Calculating Fixture Units after a Cleanout or Fixture Carrier?

Can you post a small sample project with one stack the way you are trying to pipe it?

Login to Give a bone

Hi Joel. I took one of your classes at AU this year, good stuff! So the issue I'm having is after we substituted the clean-out with a sanitary tee it would calculate FU, but then every time we would sync, they would disappear...weird. Been pressed for time so we just faked the FU with a Project Parameter for Pipes and then you just enter dumb text on that piece of pipe that the tag then reads. I will post a sample project later today so that you may have a look at. I'm also having issues with Fixture Carriers passing Fixture Unit counts along and will post that in the same small project. Thanks.

All AUGI, all the time JoelLondenberg's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

It's hard to diagnose without seeing what you've got. How about some screenshots?

Login to Give a bone

Ok have some time to post this up now. The big issue I'm having with the carrier is it doesn't calculate Fixture Units downstream. I tried to post up the Revit file but it was 4 mb, too big for the site, so I just uploaded the carrier that is giving me issues.Fixture Units.png
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Bump for any suggestions?

Login to Give a bone

I opened up your family. You might try changing the "Flow Configuration" in the connectors' properties from "Calculated" to "Fixture Units".

Login to Give a bone

That's because I had to change it to "Calculated" to sum up the FU's upstream and then add it to the last downstream connector. In the video in my op, the speaker says to first have the connector first set as "Fixture Units" just so that you may click the radio button next to the "Fixture Units" parameter that pops up (otherwise only Flow is available) and then link your FU parameter. After that change it to "Calculated". When I change everything to "Fixture Units", Fixture Units are not calculated in the project environment. Did you try this carrier in a project?

Login to Give a bone

I see what you mean about using calculated.

I loaded the carrier into a project and it didn't work at first, then I noticed the your connectors' System Classification was set to "Sanitary" instead of "Fitting." So I changed the connectors to "Fitting" and it worked. But I changed ONLY the connectors that are supposed to calculate the WFU. When I changed the vent connection to "Fitting", too, and reloaded it, it didn't work (an open connection). So when I changed the vent connection's System Classification back to "Vent" it worked. (I learned something new today!)

Also, regarding cleanouts, I had been using the OOTB pipe end cap as a cleanout placeholder, but when I finally started paying attention to fixture unit totals, the end caps didn't work. So, finally I got a hold of a cleanout family, and it turns out that it's categorized as a Plumbing Fixture, not a Pipe Accessory or Fitting. So it appears that not only must there be no open-ended pipes in a system, there must be a WFU load via a Plumbing Fixture on every branch pipe, even if the load is 0.

Login to Give a bone

This may or may not help, but the "San Out" connection should be set to PRESET and the "Rough In" and "San In" connectors should be set to CALCULATED. This tells the family which way the flow is going and which connectors are being added up (learned this creating VAV boxes calculating the air flow from diffusers and passing it on to the air handler) to pass that information along. Also, I think your formula for you fixture units was a little off on the Outlet fixture units. I believe it should be Rough-In + Inlet = Outlet. I saved your family and have reposted it. Let me know if those changes work for you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast