Thread: Fixture Unit Counts

Wish List Administration
    Login to Give a bone

Default Fixture Unit Counts

Summary: This is a list of requests, recommendations, and issues with counting loads in pipe systems thay may help improve revit.

Description: 1. Make the connector flow direction editable in the project file. example: if you were to click on a water heater, the connectors could show up as arrows that you could toggle the direction of flow.

2. Make the connector flow configuration editable in the project file. Some fixtures could have both fixture units or rainfall run off rates.

3. Make a connector flow configuaration option for no flow items. Cleanouts do not have a flow load but flow will not calculate on a waste system if the cleanout connector is not set to FIXTURE UNIT configuration.

4. Make load counting between different SYSTEM CLASSIFICATIONS and SYSTEM TYPES possible. There are too many restrictions here. In the real world and in revit world it is sometimes required to have different classes and types connected to one another. (ie: waste and vent, hot water and recirc) Saying that CLASSIFICATION AND SYSTEM TYPE will be the same for an entire waste system is just not realistic.

Product and Feature: Revit MEP - MEP Pipe (Rigid

Submitted By: Randy Nicholson on 01/04/2013

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Fixture Unit Counts

Hi Randy - I have been dealing with a lot of these issues while I've developed systems to be used in my company.

Item 1: I don't think the flow arrow on a water heater is important, since any given water water will have a specific entry and exit. Accordingly, the connectors on your water heater family need to be set properly to propogate flow.

Item 2: What fixtures use both fixture units and rainfall run off? I'm guessing that you're refering to creating storm systems. I've gotten around this by using a hydronic system with gpm. The rainwater run off is based on inches/hour rainfall over a given area, which can be calculated into gpm. This may take a little reverse engineering with the code book, but you should be able to find comparable cutoffs. You're right, waste systems should allow GPM flow rates.

Item 3: Connectors for Cleanouts should be set to 0 fixture units. It will add 0 just fine.

Item 4: This is a biggy and I agree completely. We need a fitting that can join 2 different systems (like domestic hot water and recirculating hot water, or waste and vent) without making them one system. That recirculating hot water should also use a gpm flow rate.

Good post Randy.