Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rename Blocks?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Rename Blocks?

Quote Originally Posted by pbejse View Post
    I see

That is a problem is it not? Now going back to the posted codes. Lets start over. What will be the action if the name already does exist? put a number after the name?
    And are you aware that BlockRename routine will change every instances of the block with the same name? is that what you are really after?
    Hi pbejse,
    Thank for replay.
    I don't wanna put number after renamed block. I'd like to rename each block to a specific name.
    e.g. I have about 50 blocks in my drawing, and all have the same same is ECT and I'd like to rename each of them to a specific name.
    Is it possible??

Kind Regards
    Billy

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Just a question if I may: Why do you want to do this? You have to ask yourself: "Is there not a simpler way of differentiating between block references? Say adding a hidden attribute to them, or using their handles?

I'm just asking since: I can't see any benefit in doing it. and your DWG is going to become huge with lots of blocks, since you're effectively remaking a new block definition simply duplicated from the original definition for each reference of the block. It's as if you exploded each one then remade each one into a new block.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    Just a question if I may: Why do you want to do this? You have to ask yourself: "Is there not a simpler way of differentiating between block references? Say adding a hidden attribute to them, or using their handles?

I'm just asking since: I can't see any benefit in doing it. and your DWG is going to become huge with lots of blocks, since you're effectively remaking a new block definition simply duplicated from the original definition for each reference of the block. It's as if you exploded each one then remade each one into a new block.
    You're totally right, irneb
    I know the damage it could be caused in my file.
    I'm trying to create a reference block in two file different, but the blocks already exist in my file and have the same name, so I'm trying to rename them.

Sorry guys, my english isn't good.
    I hope you have been understood my task.

Regards
    Billy

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYJOW View Post
    Hi pbejse,
    Thank for replay.
    I don't wanna put number after renamed block. I'd like to rename each block to a specific name.
    e.g. I have about 50 blocks in my drawing, and all have the same same is ECT and I'd like to rename each of them to a specific name.
    Is it possible??
    It is Billy, again ***what will be the action be when the name already exist? Here's the thing . Renaming a block will affect all instances of the block with the same name ( do i hear an echo here ). so if the name is already taken do you as use an alernative name from your "specific name" list?

You're totally right, irneb
    I know the damage it could be caused in my file.
    Indeed

I'm trying to create a reference block in two file different, but the blocks already exist in my file and have the same name, so I'm trying to rename them.
    refer to ***

Now, slowly tell us, what exactly how you want this? what do you mean by reference block?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

@pbejse
    Thank you so much for the help, your first code worked exactly as I wanted to. It renamed all the selected block in my drawing.
    I was trying to rename the same blocks in the drawing 2, but the blocks is scattered around the drawing and I couldn't use the same code to rename.
    So I'm trying to rename manually.
    Finally I'll use a Lee Mac's code that retrieve specific attribute values from blocks in a user compiled list, from either the current working drawing, or all drawings in a director.

Design Visualization Moderator stusic's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Have you taken a look at Lee Mac's COPYBLOCK routine? It has the option of just renaming the block. Start the command, click a block, specify a new name (or use the defualt suggestion of the old block name + a sequential number).

http://lee-mac.com/copyblock.html

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Hi all

@stusic
    Many thanks, I'll take a look the Lee Mac's routine.

@pbejse
    @irneb
    Thanks for the help and good advice.

I'm really appreciate your help, guys.

Billy

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123