See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Do you review drawings? what does a good set of drawings look like to you?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Do you review drawings? what does a good set of drawings look like to you?

I have been a structural draftsperson for 20 years now, started on the board, moved to AutoCAD and now work in both AutoCAD and Revit.

First thing I want to get off my chest, is when I phone a architect to get a answer on a missing dimension or information and there answer is "well look in the drawing/Model". SO ya, you can not answer the question so you do not no it, so your drawing is not done. SO please, have all the information you need to build on your drawings, and organized in such a manor that I do not have to flip around from page to page.

I look for a well laid out, orderly drawing. That is consistent and has all the required information.

there is so much to say I do not know where to begin. I will have to come back to this.

Oh, cut your sections in a consistent way. If you have all of them on one grid line looking to the left of the page, do not toss in a random one looking to the right. WHats up with that. Page up or page left...come on.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Do you review drawings? what does a good set of drawings look like to you?

I thought the drafter can easily explain about the drawing what they plan to draw.

Login to Give a bone

you would think they would be able to. But there are so many times where they just copy design sketches or typical details and do not understand the concept of your drawing is going to become something, you should learn about it.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Some comments are really simplistic without a clear understanding off what it takes to communicate your intent to the other person. My per peeve is architects that can't draw a 90 degree angle. Then they complain when I charge them to fix their dwg. Coming from the civil side when the architect lays out parking with non tangent corners or corners that are 89.6 or 90.4 degrees they may be fine at the building corner but when you project that across the parking lot it does make a difference.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

My pet peeve is inconsistency with the verbiage being used. Our chief structural engineer will change the verbiage for the same note in different drawings and yet, he requires a list of "common" verbiage be kept.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Mudduck View Post
    My pet peeve is inconsistency with the verbiage being used. Our chief structural engineer will change the verbiage for the same note in different drawings and yet, he requires a list of "common" verbiage be kept.
    This drives me crazy. In the end, the drafter/modeler needs to be more consistent and pay attention to their work not just copy. YOu are producing the drawing take some time and some pride in it. Own your work and do not just do it because it was on a hand sketch.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I'm lucky to get a plot style included with a drawing with layouts that aren't all set plot to window with as many missing xref's as shapes for their linetypes. It amazes me how often I have to explain how to use ETRANSMIT to people over the phone. Lose all confidence in their work after that.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234