See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: "Clash" layer won't go away

I could stop if I wanted to Mamma Jamma's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default "Clash" layer won't go away

This layer, "Clash", has 47 proxy objects on it. They won't delete, and neither will the layer. I assume this is indicative of some sort of clash detection created by one or another of our programs other than vanilla AutoCAD - we have MEP & Architecture, as well as CADworx and a few seats of Revit, Inventor and gawd knows what else at this point. The primary program used on this drawing should have been, and probably was CADWorx, which has never caused this prior to this one particular drawing.
    We have tried Layer Delete, including attempting it by renaming the layer (one never knows). We have tried Wblock/Entire drawing, as well as Erase, All and removing everything visible. Nothing allows erasure of the (invisible) proxy objects (even though they're found with Quick Select, they are invisible) nor deletion of the layer it's on.
    Normally, this wouldn't be a huge deal, but the client to whom we'll be turning over the drawings is really picky about layers.
    Anyone have a clue?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: "Clash" layer won't go away

Your post was not clear... Have you considered the LAYDEL Command, or did you simply attempt to delete the layer via Layer Manager? *not sure*
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Quick and dirty, I know, but you could also use LAYMRG to combine the unwanted layer with a layer that your client won't get too upset about ... $0.10

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by John_C View Post
    Quick and dirty, I know, but you could also use LAYMRG to combine the unwanted layer with a layer that your client won't get too upset about ... $0.10
    As a client who is sorta picky about layers, I'm also picky about proxy objects and other things that tend to pop up and confuse my end users. (Although, I will admit, I've used the LAYMRG thing myself to just be able to not see the unwanted layer in there.)

MJ, You said you wblocked and that didn't fix it, have you tried doing an ExportToAutoCAD?
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

I could stop if I wanted to Mamma Jamma's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the responses.
    Yes, tried LAYDEL. Didn't work.
    Tried LAYMRG. Didn't work.
    It would let us rename the layer, and if we couldn't get permission to ignore it by client, or find another work around, we could rename to a more acceptable (maybe to go unnoticed in the mix) layer name. I found it weird that it would let us rename the layer (though the misbehavior with the new name was still the same), yet it ignored (no error message, no nothing) LAYDEL and LAYMRG.
    We did find the culprit - CADWorx PRO clash detection. While we have several people with the program, and have been using it for years, this is the first time the issue has come up, so it's likely a setting that can be changed. The offending user was able to clear it up satisfactorily and the AutoCAD drawings are clean again.
    Again, thanks for the input.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

CADWorx clash detection (settings and start-up) is controlled through the CFG file. If users aren't selecting the correct CFG file, or there is one in the same folder as a drawing being opened, the settings in that CFG file will be used. If the CFG files reside on users computers, or in the project folders, its easy for the settings to get adjusted (and not reset) as users try things out. Most of mine are centrally located in read-only folders except for projects with a Live Database connection. In that case, the CFG file(s) is/are flagged as read-only which is enough to deter most changes.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    As a client who is sorta picky about layers, I'm also picky about proxy objects and other things that tend to pop up and confuse my end users. (Although, I will admit, I've used the LAYMRG thing myself to just be able to not see the unwanted layer in there.)

MJ, You said you wblocked and that didn't fix it, have you tried doing an ExportToAutoCAD?
    Hey, don't get me wrong, I wasn't suggesting that it's good practice, or even something that I do on a regular basis ...

Another possible solution might be to try to delete the proxy objects using something like this ...

John