Thread: Express Tools Auto Number - Skips Number in Multi-line Mtext

Design Visualization Moderator stusic's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Question Express Tools Auto Number - Skips Number in Multi-line Mtext

I have a bunch of two-line Mtext labels. When I use the Auto Number, use F&R (find: "01"), set my increment to "1", it replaces all instances of 01, but not by increments of 1, but by increments of 2, as if it was counting the first line. So I end up with 2, 4, 6, 8, etc. Am I missing something or is this a known issue?

Example:
    Evaporator
    Circuit 01

Evaporator
    Circuit 01

Turns to:
    Evaporator
    Circuit 2

Evaporator
    Circuit 4

Thanks!
    Last edited by stusic; 2013-01-28 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Idiocracy
    Phillip Bradshaw
    Lead Pixel Pusher, Lucid Design Studio
    CAD Detailer, Proctor Productions

A doctor can bury his mistakes but an architect can only advise his clients to plant vines. - Frank Lloyd Wright

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Express Tools Auto Number - Skips Number in Multi-line Mtext

I've found that some of Express tools have bugs that prevents them to be as useful they could be. Like copym seems to be very allergic to zooming and panning while command is in progress.

But this autonumber seems that it only works for single line text or DTEXT. I tried you example case and I did get same result. I did also try to add one row between evaporator and circuit and it resulted to numbering 3 6 9... So multiple lines seems to be poison for autonumber.

Login to Give a bone

Yeah! Most (if not all) the express tools were actually created in the 90's - prior to a lot of the new acad tools/entities. E.g. they're irksome with any dynamic blocks / annotative scaling / mtext / multiline attributes / scroll zooming / dynamic ucs / etc. They've rarely been updated to suit these new things. Another which simply breaks these days is super hatch - it now only works when you hatch using blocks.

Unfortunately adesk don't seem to update these things - unless they incorporate them directly into the acad menu (e.g. the layer tools like LayFrz). If they do this they tend to re-write these in ObjectARX, not fixing the "erroneous" lisp code. IMO it's inefficient to do so, but through adesk's lisp-phobia they'd rather waste extra man-power and leave gaping holes in their program than attempt to get their "programmers" to step into the realm of TRUE programming.

For this scenario you would be much better off with some awesome lisp incrementing addons available on this site (and many others). One which might do exactly what you're after (and lots more) would be Lee's Incrementing Suite. Another might be my AutoIncrement. Or search for loads of others which do similar and/or different things - perhaps you can find one which is exactly what you're after.
    Knowledge is proportional to experience, but wisdom is inversely proportional to ego!
    My little bit of "wisdom": Hind-sight is useless, unless used to improve the next forethought!

Design Visualization Moderator stusic's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Yes, I seem to be finding a lot of these bugs lately. To solve my current problem, I simply converted the mtext to two-line dtext and chose the lines that had "Circuit". I could see where this workaround wouldn't be feasible in other situations, so I'm going to look into LM's and your solutions.

Thanks for the help
    Phillip Bradshaw
    Lead Pixel Pusher, Lucid Design Studio
    CAD Detailer, Proctor Productions

A doctor can bury his mistakes but an architect can only advise his clients to plant vines. - Frank Lloyd Wright