Thread: Autonumber Madness

Professional Member
    Login to Give a bone

Angry Autonumber Madness

In AutoCAD 2013 when pasting text in to an existing MTEXT box or creating mtext from scratch if the first characters end in a "." or a ")" it converts the text to an autonumber item. Turning off autnumber in the Mtext object removes the first text characters completely.

Example: "(1) text" - showing QTY becomes an autnumber, turning it off removes the "(1)" completely.
    Example: "U.L. text" - becomes an autonumber, so that if you edit the mtext object again and hit enter the next line starts with "U.M." turning it off removes the "U.L." completely.

This is driving me crazy and I do not see an option or variable to turn it off. If it is a "feature" I do not like it!

WES

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Autonumber Madness

Does it autonumber by adding a number to the text, like TCOUNT, or does it reformat the text into a numbered list? If it is turning into a numbered list, does it happen in every drawing, or only one?

Edit: If you are tabbing after the "." or the ")" that is what is causing the auto list.

Here it is in the 2010 User Documentation: 2010 User Documentation - Create Lists in Multiline Text
    Last edited by apitcher799568; 2013-02-04 at 10:05 PM.

Professional Member
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by apitcher799568 View Post
    Does it autonumber by adding a number to the text, like TCOUNT, or does it reformat the text into a numbered list? If it is turning into a numbered list, does it happen in every drawing, or only one?

Edit: If you are tabbing after the "." or the ")" that is what is causing the auto list.

Here it is in the 2010 User Documentation: 2010 User Documentation - Create Lists in Multiline Text
    It formats the preceding text and what follows in to a numbered list, using the format of the first line. I am not hitting a tab, just a space. It happens in all drawings and it does not matter if it is new or existing text.

WES

Login to Give a bone

Have you tried to turn off "Allow auto list" option from MTEXT? I don't know if there's some variable for this but at least if yoi're editing MTEXT you can find it under "bullets and numbering".

Professional Member
    Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Autonumber Madness

Quote Originally Posted by jpo82 View Post
    Have you tried to turn off "Allow auto list" option from MTEXT? I don't know if there's some variable for this but at least if yoi're editing MTEXT you can find it under "bullets and numbering".
    Allow auto List was turned off. But I did figure it out while playing with it this am. By changing the drop down to "Use Tab Delimiter only" it fixed it.

Thanks for your help. Your response triggered me to play with tall the options which I had not done before.

WES

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by walt.sparling View Post
    Allow auto List was turned off. But I did figure it out while playing with it this am. By changing the drop down to "Use Tab Delimiter only" it fixed it.

Thanks for your help. Your response triggered me to play with tall the options which I had not done before.

WES
    Thanks for posting back your ultimate resolution, Walt. I'm sure someone will benefit from this in the future.

I'll admit I haven't used MTEXT much, as most of my drawings were created back in the day when MTEXT was more trouble than it was worth.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Professional Member
    Login to Give a bone

I use Mtext very regularly now and for our toolbar addicted users, I have removed the Dtext button to make Mtext a priority and to help with the weening process (they can type Dtext if needed). Between Mtext and Mleaders, my life is so much easier now. : )

WES

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by walt.sparling View Post
    I use Mtext very regularly now and for our toolbar addicted users, I have removed the Dtext button to make Mtext a priority and to help with the weening process (they can type Dtext if needed). Between Mtext and Mleaders, my life is so much easier now. : )

WES
    Now, I am with you on the MLeaders, that is something that has come in pretty handy for me.

If I was creating new drawings instead of just working with old ones, I know the features of MTEXT have improved astronomically since I first got disgusted with them, lol.
    The best annotation feature for me had to be tables, though, we use those a lot now.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

I tend to use DTEXT for every single line text or marking and MTEXT for longer text fields. One good feature I've discovered about DTEXT that if you have multiple tag like DTEXT you can easily change their value by selecting them all and then just enter what ever you want to "contents" on quick properties.