Thread: 2012 Vault and iAssemblies, is it worth it? Is there a better option?

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default 2012 Vault and iAssemblies, is it worth it? Is there a better option?

We currently use iParts and iAssemblies for every major product line in our portfolio. I have been hoping to migrate to Vault for some time for the following reasons:
    • Protection of design data
    • More structure to guide our workflow
    • Clean up file server
    • Provide ability to "release" drawings for manufacturing for QA and communication purposes
    • Make Copy design easier (currently use Pack and Go)
    • Eventually synch with GP to eliminate redundant data entry.

I have been delaying the implementation, however, as I have heard that it is very difficult in load iAssemblies into vault and even more difficult to work with them. We currently have some iParts in Libraries, and it is a great pain to have to close our current project every time and switch to the Library project to modify files. I have found some good work arounds and procedures, but it looks very labor intensive.

So, my questions is, given all of the above, is it worth it to migrate to Vault? Do all the extra steps and hassles to use iParts and iAssemblies more than offest the benefits of using PDM? Is there another alternative? I had thought about trying to use iLogic instead of iAssemblies, but I don't know if this makes it any easier to use Vault.

I appreciate any feedback.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: 2012 Vault and iAssemblies, is it worth it? Is there a better option?

I use iParts in Vault all the time. It works pretty well, in all the ways you have listed. If the initial part is set up correctly, then its very easy to add to the factory. All of our iParts have just one variable dimension so that also makes it easy. So it was worth it, in this sense. As for iAssemblies, the concept sounds pretty good...in theory. We currently don't use them so I can't help you with that. Our Cad Admin is researching how we can use iAssemblies, amongst other things. Our product line doesn't appear to be conducive to them. Anyway, I hopes this helps you out a little. It's not enough to make an educated decision, but hopefully its valuable. Good luck!