Thread: Revit Snapping

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit Snapping

Hi,
    Does anyone have some idea on the following
    When drawing in elements that intersect with other elements, Revit will automatically offset or cut them back and in some instance pull them off alignment to allow the intersection to occur. Im presuming its doing this to allow the analytical model to build.
    However in some instances I would like the elements to cross through one another and their alignments to be maintained so I can do coping or cutting of the elements to say a reference plane.
    I know I can turn off the object snaps but this wont stop the elements cutting back from one another and I then have to stretch them through the intersection so I can cut to a reference plane.

A specific case where is where Im trying to create an angled cut of 2 elements that say intersect one another at 45 degrees.

Any ideas will be greatly received.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Snapping

Under the element itself you can turn off the checkbox for "activate the analytical model" this does stop most of what you are talking about.
    Also some of the elements have this offset built into the family itself and if they dont, its better when they do. For example I have a beam family that has ends on it which I can extend or make smaller by just dragging the end of the beam, this doesn't affect the analytical connection points it simply extends the beam element itself. Then I have found after dragging the end past the trimming point I can then make pretty much any cut shape I want into the element which makes it nice for trimming to odd angled intersections for example. Also under the modify tab, in the geometry subcategory, you find the junction modification tools and often this will allow you to set the correct "trim" order (for lack of a better word) of how two intersecting elements interact.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Craig,
    I'll have a look at those suggestions

Login to Give a bone

Hello Craig_L,
    Can beam ends be trimmed with a shapes like violin curves or only at angles?
    Cheers

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

try using the opening by face tool, to trim ends of beams in elevation or plan view.
    Last edited by dmahan; 2014-05-27 at 03:36 PM.