Thread: revit 2014 & 2015 wall transparency issue.

Login to Give a bone

Default revit 2014 & 2015 wall transparency issue.

Hopefully someone else has found a solution to this, according to Autodesk they haven't received any other inquiry's regarding this issue.

In revit 2014 & 2015, the wall transparency now causes unwanted behavior. I've been round and round with Autodesk and they say this is now normal behavior, but can't offer a solutions to get us back to our office standard.

The majority of the time we model to an LOD of around 300 so we only model structural elements, for walls this is only shear walls and occasionally bearing walls. We rely on the linked model or cad background for the rest of the walls. On upper floor framing plans we have always shown walls above with a dashed line, and walls below with a solid line, and transparent, so window & door openings will show through. By adjusting the VG to show walls being cut use a hidden linetype, and walls in projection transparent, we would get the desired results. Not anymore, now if you make the walls in projection transparent, you see the bootm of the wall being cut, which is a solid line, so both walls are shown with a solid line, if you remove the transparency, the wall above switches back to the hidden linetype but the walls below won't show the dr & wdw openings. the only solution offered is model all walls and select the walls beow and do an element override to make them transparent. Not a real solution since LOD determines how much gets modeled not autodesk.

Does anyone know of a better solution? Since autodesk's suggestion doesn't work with linked models, we have tried to use two different plans and stack them on a sheet. For our test project we used a linked model that had a few different levels at the upper floor which would have caused us to spend too much time going through each plan and hidding unwanted linked walls. We are trying to stay BIM like, but at this point, it looks like CAd backgrounds are our best option.

Hopefully someone can come up with a better idea, that will work for both linked & modeled walls.

TIA.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: revit 2014 & 2015 wall transparency issue.

Ok that is pretty annoying I just spent 20 minutes writing a response for you and then it got eaten when the web page didnt go to "advanced" so I could post an image...

I use 3 views to achieve what you are saying, although I have not tried out "reflected ceiling plan" yet, I believe this could also give you what you want but as I say I am yet to test that option out.
    This 3 view method is NOT that hard to achieve, make sure you set view templates up and then subsequent views take about 3 seconds to create.

1. Slab. I set projection lines to show hidden (as the slab is being viewed from underneath in my presentation, yet the actual view looks down onto the slab so hidden lines need to become solid, and solid lines hidden (in most cases) I also set the transparency to 40%

2. Walls over - these are set to show a solid hatch that shows up quite light on page. Also openings are given a solid grey hatch and left turned on so they show up. No transparency setting is needed (and will stuff up your view if you try one) Depending on how your slab steps, you may need to hide some walls which are actually on top of your slab - this is easily done with a 3D view open while you are doing the hiding.

3. Walls under - these show with a grey crosshatch ensure your cut depth is low enough to capture the openings you need and set transparency to 40%

Once you have these views set up with the linework and hatch styles you want, be sure to create view templates from your views, and save them with a name that makes them obvious for next application next time.

When you place the views on sheets the order is important, if you dont do it in the right order your solid walls will override your transparent walls etc
    From memory I think I place mine in this order slab > walls over > walls under. (Although that could be reversed Im not sure now) Trial and error will sort you out there, just write it down I suppose so you dont need to trial and error every time you place views....