Thread: iPad for BIM

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default iPad for BIM

I work for a Construction Management company and we are looking into buying iPads for the field personnel and BIM Coordinator to make information more accessible in the field. The BIM Coordinator will need to run multiple software apps to access the models and information stored. Does anybody have any experience with using the iPad for BIM? Does it matter what size iPad we buy (16GB, 32GB, 64GB, etc...)? Any lessons learned?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: iPad for BIM

do the applications you need to run exist on iOS? That's the first thing to think about - otherwise it's just an expensive toy with an ongoing cell bill that people can play angry fruit zombies on.

<not that there's anything wrong with that!!>
    Last edited by cadtag; 2013-02-22 at 04:11 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: iPad for BIM

Quote Originally Posted by sfrench352676 View Post
    I work for a Construction Management company and we are looking into buying iPads for the field personnel and BIM Coordinator to make information more accessible in the field. The BIM Coordinator will need to run multiple software apps to access the models and information stored. Does anybody have any experience with using the iPad for BIM? Does it matter what size iPad we buy (16GB, 32GB, 64GB, etc...)? Any lessons learned?
    We're not using them in an official capacity here at work, though a few of us own them. Usually photographs and notes. Some cases we've used AutoCAD WS, but, no real modeling yet on the owner's side, since most of our campus is still 2d only.

I talked to Tomislav Zigo about what his company was doing with the iPad after seeing him access a model during a meeting on his, while this article is a couple years old, it walked through how his company feels about the model devices, and that they use Citrix and Vela Systems for some of their tracking and viewing tasks.

I'd pony up for at least the 32GB. I've got the 16gb and I've run out of space a couple of times when I've had to take a lot of photos.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost