Thread: Best protocol for transferring libraries/content center to home installation w/o using Vault?

Login to Give a bone

Default Best protocol for transferring libraries/content center to home installation w/o using Vault?

Hi,

I am just wondering what the best protocol is for transferring my libraries and assemblies to my home installation of inventor w/o using Vault? I used Vault once years ago and had a bad experience that has kept me away since. I would just like to be able to keep tabs on the couple of files that house my libraries/content center and simply take those with me too when I'm working remotely.

I am running 2013 premium design suite. I have thus far copied my library file to my home computer...when I open an assembly I brought home with me, none of my custom library contents are present in the model (it prompts me to find them). BUT, I can click on "place" or edit the content center and there my custom parts are, right where they should be. So what exactly am I missing here? I don't want to pack-n-go as I want to be able to maintain an identical project structure to put back on the work server the following morning. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Best Regards, Bill

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Best protocol for transferring libraries/content center to home installation w/o using Vault?

Hmmmm....is there no one out there that migrates their libraries to their home machines w/o using Vault??

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Best protocol for transferring libraries/content center to home installation w/o using Vault?

I use an external drive to copy files from a client's system which is, in turn, sync'd to my other system(s). I use ViceVersa Pro as the sync program, but any one will do. The content center library files must be duplicated "C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Inventor 2013\Content Center\Libraries" Wherever you store your user files ("C:\Users\xxxxx\My Documents\Inventor" is the default) needs to sync'd that as well. This will duplicate the Content Center Files also. I had to play with the permissions for the ProgramData directory. That was fun...

You may want to try using Windows Mesh or something similar. Some I work with have had luck with it, but they do not use Inventor. I was not so lucky. Inventor places a lock on the files being edited, so extra files were created, such as Part1(System1) and Part1(System2), etc., and then each of these was duplicated on each machine. These 4 files were useless as they did not contain current data and had to be manually deleted. One scenario I did not try was to disable the live syncing until I was done for the day. That entails waiting until the sync is finished before powering down your system. If you can leave both systems running, then it may work for you.

Good Luck!

Login to Give a bone

Try using Pack N Go, and make the path to a thumb drive or local and then copy them to portable memory.

Login to Give a bone

Hi all, Thanks for the feedback! (and hello down in P-ville! I used to live there.)

I actually finally figured out the problem. I was getting my libraries transferred ok, but I was neglecting the actual custom content files that are created and placed into MyDocuments.

The library files themselves don't consist of any actual parts, just the parameters to create them. Whenever a part is inserted into a drawing, an ipt file is created for that part and placed 'somewhere'. So even though I had my custom content library migrated ok and have all my custom content parts available for insertion on my home machine, when loading an assembly populated with custom components on my home machine they could not be resolved. By also migrating the content folder within my documents the parts are now all resolved when opening the drawing at home.

Pack-n-go alone did not resolve the problem. A packed file still had the same missing parts. I imagine that this has something to do with how I created them--i.e. if I had used 'copy as custom' for my parts and made sure the custom part was placed in the project folder itself then I would likely not have had this problem. I'm still working my way through all of the filing conventions that Inventor is using. Still, it does seem to make more sense to have these custom parts in a central repository and going through the rigamorole of synching them rather than creating an instance of them every time they're used...since we use those parts on every job. Inventor is already a disc-space hog as it is.

Hope this helps someone. If anyone has any suggestions for streamlining the process they'd be appreciated. I think we may have to start implementing Vault at some point though...

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

I think I may have a related problem. The directory that contains all the files I am working on has suddenly decided that it is a library and forbids me from saving or editing any of those files. Is there any way to restore the directories so that they are no longer treated as libraries? Using Windows Explorer to make them all read/write does not work. Copying the files seems to copy the library (no-edit) status. Using Autodesk 2013, single user, stand-alone with no Vault. Does anyone have any ideas?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

If you have redefined your project, this sounds like a Windoze permission issue. I had similar issues.
    I had to "Take Ownership" of this directory:
    C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Inventor 2013

and make sure the permissions for this are set to everyone. (it should be by default)

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk

HTH