See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Objects From Revit MEP 2013 Missing in Navis Manage 2013

Login to Give a bone

Default Objects From Revit MEP 2013 Missing in Navis Manage 2013

When I open my Revit 2013 MEP central file either directly in Navis Manage or Append this central I am missing al lot of objects. Reducers, Tees, Check Valves, and Bends. This is all out of the box Revit 2013 content. No vendor garbage. the model was created in 2013, no upgrades. I am running service pack 2 and updated exporters. What is the deal? I really don't want to, nor should I have to, export to NWC from Revit every time I need to run clash. That is as unacceptable as the objects missing in the first place.

All AUGI, all the time pauljordan's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Objects From Revit MEP 2013 Missing in Navis Manage 2013

Let me start off by saying if you're thin skinned or don't want the whole truth spelled out to you, you might want to stop reading this post right now.

OK, so you've decided to continue readin.

First of all, your whole post has a lot of attitude in it. This forum is run by a lot of volunteers and people that want to help other users. We're not the developers of the software, nor are we the official tech support staff employed by Autodesk themselves. Some times, an Autodesk Application Engineer will stop in to see how things are going and offer an answer to a question, other times AE's for resellers will stop in.

With Navisworks, there are a lot of things that are still in development and are progressing along slowly, therefore, having to export nwc files from Revit to get them to work, seems like a perfectly reasonable solution to the problem to me. Come back and talk to us when you find your clash rules rewriting themselves or the status of your clashes changing on thier own. Then you'll have something to complain about.

As for the original part of your post, you did well in explaining what you had software wise, the only question I have is "Are ALL the objects missing or A LOT of them missing?" Can you narrow that down to perhaps a setting in one model that shows the parts versus a setting in another model that doesn't?

You also mentioned 'exporters', have you looked into 'enablers' and whether you might need to install them?

Your comment on 'vendor garbage' vs OOTB content.. Hmm.. interesting.. Good luck with that path.

One last thing I would check is I would go into the NavisWorks .nwf and delete the revit model that you're trying to update. Then append the updated model. I've seen Revit .nwc's that don't like to update on several occasions back in 2011 NavisWorks.
    Give a man AutoCad, and he'll draw you a floor plan.
    Give a man Revit and he'll build you a house.
    Give Cadmama a couple of drinks and she'll have everyone singing Rockytop!

Login to Give a bone

Thin skinned? Nice response. Tip: don’t read between the lines. Just read what is posted and don’t make it personal. I realize that AUGI is operated by volunteers so for that I excuse your lecture.

Yes, every fitting displays as a single line. I can start a project from scratch, lay down a pipe and an elbow and the elbow displays as a single line.
    There are no enablers for Navis Manage 2013 to read Revit 2013.

I mentioned “vendor garbage” because as you are well aware of, there are sites out there that supply families that are worthless. And when I have to troubleshoot problems the first thing I ask is where did you get your families from.

It turns out that this is a known problem. Thank you Autodesk for letting us know that.

Here is one solution I found that will suffice: Add a thin layer of insulation to all of the pipe accessories and fittings, even if you are not insulating your pipes. It only has to be 1/32” thick. Navis will display every fitting and accessory as it should and this very thin layer will have no negative affect when running clash. And no need to continuously export to NWC.

Login to Give a bone

You're the one that came in bashing Autodesk and thier products. I didn't need to read between any lines to see that as plain as day.

Try changing your detail level in your 3D view from medium to fine. I know it works with .nwc files but, since you're insistent that the first time NavisWorks has been able to import .rvt models it should work there, you'll have to test that for yourself.

Here's another workaround:

A workaround for importing Revit files suggested by Travis Beecher in the comments is to edit settings for the visual graphics in the family itself to show up in medium and fine then when the Revit file is loaded into Navisworks you will see all your fittings.

How did I find these solutions?? I Googled 'revit fittings showing as single lines in navisworks' and a well respected blog by two Autodesk Application Engineers had the answer right there.

Login to Give a bone

Don't be so grumpy. Life is too short. Even your avatar is grumpy.

Setting the visibility does the trick. But it has to be done on every single family. Yeesh! I'll have hundreds of fittings and accessories to go through.

I am entitled to bash Autodesk all I want. It's called customer feedback. They are a big company. You don't need to defend them. When my company pays a quarter of million in subscription a year and fittings don't display because of a simple checkbox, I'll scream.

This is not a bug. It's shoddy quality control that was not corrected in Revit 2013 MEP SP2. And I'll bet that when 2014 comes out, nobody in Autodesk still hasn't gone through the families and fixed this.

Quote Originally Posted by pauljordan View Post
    How did I find these solutions?? I Googled 'revit fittings showing as single lines in navisworks' and a well respected blog by two Autodesk Application Engineers had the answer right there.
    And just to wrap up: what you just said was if anyone out there is looking for solutions, don't waste time on forums. Go right to Google. Nice work Paul.

Login to Give a bone

As a former Application Engineer for an Autodesk Reseller, you're taught two things by Autodesk themselves. Use the Help and if that doesn't work, use Google.

I took pretty much word for word about your issue and Googled it. Did you expect the small community we have here in the NavisWorks Forum to come up with that answer?

I've seen similar problems with Autocad MEP but, that was from checking a box that told it to draw single lines for anything under a certain size.

If you had asked that, I wouldn't have needed to Google anything.

I've recommended more people to these forums than I can count. Some come and stay, some never come around. I've also recommended using Google to just as many people. There's no reason to be ashamed at using a very reliable source to quickly find an answer..

And if you had looked at the line right above the Google part, you would have noticed a workaround which included changing your families. That way, the next time you place a family, the settings will already be correct.

With that easy of a correction, I'd almost bet it's not a high priority for the programming team(s) at ADesk. There are a lot of things that can use a fix in NavisWorks, as well as many other ADesk programs.

Ohh, a quarter of a million a year in subscription? Try 2 million, then you'll get thier attention..