Thread: Monitor Enhancement

Login to Give a bone

Default Monitor Enhancement

We are looking into upgrading our monitors from 22" to 27".
    A couple of different reviewers mentioned that the resolution should be 1920x1200 and a response time of 5ms or less.
    The problem is the scarcity of 1920x1200.
    Would a 1920x1080 work just as well?
    We want to stay in the $300 - $400 price range.
    Any suggestions?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Monitor Enhancement

thinks it depends on your age... after 40 or so the tinier the pixels, the worse the headache

Login to Give a bone

My 17" laptop display, as I'm sure your existing 22" monitor(s), support 1920x1080... So why spend $300-400 for the same (or slightly better) resolution of 27"?

Methinks it would be far cheaper, and more screen 'real-estate' gained, by instead considering a second 22" of same model and resolution.
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Cadtag hits the nail on the head with the declining vision. Especially since I have my monitor over 3 feet away from my face (5 if I lean way back in my chair).
    This seems to be the exception in our department as most everyone else is inside the 3 foot range.

BlackBox,
    My 22" only goes up to 1680x1050.
    A dual system will require a video card with 2 outputs, correct? How much are those?
    A far as "real estate", I have my ribbon, palettes and other fly-outs on auto-hide, so I won't be saving that much space.
    What are the main advantages to having a dual screen?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ablanchard View Post
    BlackBox,
    A dual system will require a video card with 2 outputs, correct? How much are those?
    A far as "real estate", I have my ribbon, palettes and other fly-outs on auto-hide, so I won't be saving that much space.
    Touché... It would seem that I take my office hardware for granted, as what I considered to be somewhat outdated, is in fact a bit more capable than what you've just described. Perhaps I should be a bit less critical, and a bit more thankful for what I have.

In any event, yes, your computers would require dual monitor support... But again, this was part of my incorrect assumption that that was a given as a result of the hardware I've been working with for years. Obviously, we're not all in the same boat. As I described, my work laptop supports the higher resolution, and both of my actual monitors do as well. Since I'm on a laptop, I simply dock it at the office, take it with me when I choose, and dock it again at home (where I have a single monitor setup, and the laptop display is my second 'monitor').

I too use CAD on one display (that which is positioned directly in front of me), and on my second is where I place Office apps, web browser(s), PDFs, Visual Studio, Notepad++, etc..

Good luck finding the best solution for your situation.
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

We are looking into upgrading our monitors from 22" to 27".
    A couple of different reviewers mentioned that the resolution should be 1920x1200 and a response time of 5ms or less.
    The problem is the scarcity of 1920x1200.
    Would a 1920x1080 work just as well?
    We want to stay in the $300 - $400 price range.
    Any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
    My 17" laptop display, as I'm sure your existing 22" monitor(s), support 1920x1080... So why spend $300-400 for the same (or slightly better) resolution of 27"?
    Methinks it would be far cheaper, and more screen 'real-estate' gained, by instead considering a second 22" of same model and resolution.
    Cadtag hits the nail on the head with the declining vision. Especially since I have my monitor over 3 feet away from my face (5 if I lean way back in my chair).
    This seems to be the exception in our department as most everyone else is inside the 3 foot range.

BlackBox,
    1920 x 1080 happens to be the same resolution as 1080p HD television (as you probably know).
    At home I now use 2 22" HDTVs.
    If you have never worked with 2 monitors you really do not know what you are missing; IME, no one wants to back to a single monitor setup after using dual monitors.
    As for dual output graphics cards - common on cards from $100 upward but check what combination of connector types is available.
    For example, "nVidia" cards are manufactured by half-a-dozen different companies and cards with the same name/description but from different manufacturers will often have different connectors.