See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Navisworks 2014 "Enhancements"

Login to Give a bone

Angry Navisworks 2014 "Enhancements"

Is anyone else disappointed by the lack of enhancements in Navisworks 2014? I have gone over the new features a dozen times and I can honestly say that the only thing I can use in my day-to-day activities is the rule adjustments in the clash detective. Other than that, I'm not impressed. I think there have been numerous people voicing strong feelings of a better clash detection experience but as always it has fallen on deaf ears. OK, I'm done moaning about it. Would like to hear your opinions on it though.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Navisworks 2014 "Enhancements"

Lack?

QTO - major addition
    Changes to rendering engine
    Changes to measurement
    Reality Capture/point cloud - major addition
    Clash Detective changes
    Additions to Timeliner
    Support for vertical 2014 formats

Just because one doesn't use them doesn't mean they don't exist.

Login to Give a bone

I agree with your statement we need improvement in cash detection. Still I believe QTO is good step to include in 2014

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I think what he is trying to say is basically... I wish AutoDesk didn't have so many progams and so little turn around to get the programs out. This program could just be so much better....

My disclammer here is I'm just fasinated with Navisworks, and don't actually use it... Revit MEP and AutoCAD are my main squeezes...

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Damn do i wish i cold see design check like in Solibri.... so i wouldnt have to use 2 softwares

Login to Give a bone

You are right, just because someone doesn't use them doesn't mean that they don't exist. But just because the feature is there does not mean it gets used either. I don't have a need for QTO or timeliner adjustments. I have other programs that do quantity take off a lot better than QTO and the timeliner worked just fine for my needs. I am not saying that people won't use them, my gripe is that there are many other items that I would think take precedence over say integrating QTO into the software. The ability to have folders inside of folders for organization would be nice. Or how about a way inside of Navisworks to subdivide the building into zones for clash detection? Or making the data sets more user friendly when entering info or retrieving info. I do like that they have added more rendering capabilities, but Autodesk native renderers suck! Instead, how about integrating the viewport styles from 3D Max or Revit? How many of us navigate the model with clients and don't have the time to sit there and wait for a pretty picture? I want something that is a bit more pleasing to the eye when navigating. Just saying. IMHO, I think there was a chance to make 2014 a really substantial release but they missed the opportunity.

All AUGI, all the time pauljordan's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

There's more money for any software company to bring new customers into the fold than there is to keep the current customers happy with little things here and there. It's that way in any industry really. You've already bought the big purchase, now you're just upgrading your initial purchase. They're making more on that $7,000 seat than the $1,000 they get from you IF you upgrade every year.

When I was in resale, they pretty much made it where we didn't make money on sales of new seats of Autocad, they wanted 'vertical' product numbers. Basically, if I sold a seat of Autocad, I made $300 on the deal. It was $4,000 at that time. If I sold you Autocad Architecture for $1,000 more, I made over $2,000 on that sale. I would sell someone a seat of Autocad Architecture or MEP for the same price they would normally pay for Autocad, just to make more money and get those 'vertical' numbers I needed. Mind you, these numbers are over 5 years old now and I know a lot of things have changed.

Basically, they bring you into the collective, assimilate you, then never let you leave. We are Bor... umm.. Autodesk.. Resistance is futile.

Have patience. If the new parts they put into the software are usable, they'll add some tech updates over the next couple of releases to improve it all. NavisWorks is still relatively new to the Collective so they're still feeling out what all they can do with it. For me, it's been a positive experience. I've also learned on well over 25 years of using Autodesk products that you have to figure out workarounds to make things do what you need them to do.

My opinions are my own and do not represent the opinions of either AUGI or Autodesk. Furthermore, no sheep were harmed in the writing of this post...
    Give a man AutoCad, and he'll draw you a floor plan.
    Give a man Revit and he'll build you a house.
    Give Cadmama a couple of drinks and she'll have everyone singing Rockytop!

Login to Give a bone

Awesome post! Thanks Paul.
    So true too. Most service-based businesses tout customer service and repeat business. I suppose sales is not that way.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dgorsman View Post
    Just because one doesn't use them doesn't mean they don't exist.
    and just because they exist doesn't mean they are any use.

All AUGI, all the time pauljordan's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Did they even make it so the Selection tree or the Rules tab can be sorted alphabetically yet??
    Give a man AutoCad, and he'll draw you a floor plan.
    Give a man Revit and he'll build you a house.
    Give Cadmama a couple of drinks and she'll have everyone singing Rockytop!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast