Thread: AU Class for Instructors

Login to Give a bone

Default AU Class for Instructors

Might the next AU have class on tips and tricks for instructors? I've found several students turning in the same CAD file, by noting the handle for a certain object, and toggling among the drawings looking for the same handle to appear in other drawings. It shouldn't be hard to come up with an AutoLISP routine that would label the handle on a selected object. Perhaps a program could check the handle of the object closest the upper left (for example) and list drawings to examine further.

Another trick I've used it to Wblock my "prefect" drawing and lay it UNDER each of the students drawings. Where my zero-lineweight drawing appears, the student has made an error.

Reini Urban made a program many years ago that looked at the TDCREATE among drawings in a folder, and listed the drawings that had the same TDCREATE. This indicated one drawing was a copy of the other. He didn't updated it for R13 or later, though.

Instructors would also like to have the computers (networked or standalone) reset themselves completely at the start of each class.

Be nice to have a program run through 100 item "check list" for drawings and grade them automatically. The results for each student drawing would be compared with the result of the "perfect" instructor's drawing. Could such a program be written that would apply to all assignments? Or would a unique program be needed for EACH assignment.

Anyway, it would be nice to have a class for classroom automation at AU.

-Paul Burgener
    Newport News Va, USA 23602-7007
    www.evaug.com

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AU Class for Instructors

Paul,

This is a great idea for a class! Are you volunteering?

Autodesk recieves proposals for AU classes each year. Here's a link you can go to to be notified when they are requesting the proposals.

http://www.autodeskevents.com/au2005...peaker.request

Login to Give a bone

Oops! Well.. now that you mention it. It would be nice. I added my contact info to be notified when speakers are being recruited for fall 2005. I expect my full time agency will authroize the travel expence this year. They won't let me go EACH year, but it's been two years since I went.

Hmm... it would be nice if someone with VBA experience would team up with me. I hear VBA could delete the Profile in the Windows Registry and force the hard-disk stored Profile version be implemented. I don't know enough to make that work, though.

At AU 2003 (the only one I've attended), I sat in a faculty seminar that was really little more than admin news (what support Autodesk provides, a couple sales shows for tutorials, etc.). There wasn't any "how to" operations info provided, IMHO.

Anyway, I'll wait to hear from the AU planners and discuss the idea further and my potential involvement when we get closer to AU time.

-Paul

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by paul.burgener
    Oops! Well.. now that you mention it. It would be nice. I added my contact info to be notified when speakers are being recruited for fall 2005. I expect my full time agency will authroize the travel expence this year. They won't let me go EACH year, but it's been two years since I went.

Hmm... it would be nice if someone with VBA experience would team up with me. I hear VBA could delete the Profile in the Windows Registry and force the hard-disk stored Profile version be implemented. I don't know enough to make that work, though.

At AU 2003 (the only one I've attended), I sat in a faculty seminar that was really little more than admin news (what support Autodesk provides, a couple sales shows for tutorials, etc.). There wasn't any "how to" operations info provided, IMHO.

Anyway, I'll wait to hear from the AU planners and discuss the idea further and my potential involvement when we get closer to AU time.

-Paul
    Hey Paul,

You submit the course and I'd be happy to partner up with you and assist in the programming arena. VBA, Lisp, and more! I can help you out with the customization end of things.

P.S. Did you know that those crafty Adeskers have already provided all the tools you need to do the profile fix? Take a look on your hard drive for "sample-profile-utils.lsp". I'll blog on this in bit.
    Read up on it in my blog.

Also....submissions is open right now. I submitted 4 proposals last night.

RLB

Login to Give a bone

Richard-

Is the Profile info still on your Blog? I'll check it out. A few releases ago, starting with R14, as I recall, you could file a Profile in an .arg file and recall it at anytime. The bad thing was that you couldn't "write-protect" it. Each time you'd use the profile, it revised the "instance" of it in the Registry. The one saved on the hardisk as the .arg was abandoned after it's first use. We (I) needed someway to delete the Regestry instance of the profile, forcing the "write-protected" orginal .arg file to be used.

-Paul

Login to Give a bone

Richard-

Does your blog have detailed instructions for using this AutoLISP file to manage and control Profiles? Can't find any info.

I've experimented briefly with the sample-profile-util.lsp file. Seems maybe this .lsp program and a script file program could import a "Control" profile and set it current, then Delete the "Vanilla" profile to get rid of any changes it's got, then Import the new "virgin" "Vanilla" profile, and set it current. Each student PC could have the Control and Vanilla profiles stored.

Think that would work to control the settings on student PCs?

-Paul

Quote Originally Posted by richard.binning
    Hey Paul,

You submit the course and I'd be happy to partner up with you and assist in the programming arena. VBA, Lisp, and more! I can help you out with the customization end of things.

P.S. Did you know that those crafty Adeskers have already provided all the tools you need to do the profile fix? Take a look on your hard drive for "sample-profile-utils.lsp". I'll blog on this in bit.
    Read up on it in my blog. Http://www.integr-8.com/besidethecursor

Also....submissions is open right now. I submitted 4 proposals last night.

RLB

Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Re: AU Class for Instructors

What is the status of this project/concept? This is an idea that needs it's own forum " CAD (in the) CLASSROOM". Managing ACAD in an environment where everyone is pulling to get the job done is one thing, in a high school you do get students using the computers in less educational ways than you may desire. Flash drives and the internet have made file movement a breeze but with it brought tons of trash, virus etc. onto our network.I have had to harden my systems very harshly.This is crucial! It takes away valuable teaching time and resources. Time and resources that I do not have to spare. Grading and metrics are great but I need my systems to be up and running smoothly regardless of the temperment of the student .I for one would join a forum for cad instructors. Does anyone know of a whitepaper or other write up on deploying acad in a high school?

Login to Give a bone

hammersmith_guild.45162 - Sorry I haven't heard any more than the messages already in this thread. Sometimes I think the academic dealers enjoy their job security too much to help us teachers out. Years ago his suggestion was that I do as the day-teacher did, and simply prevent the students from stirring up the systems. That seemed easy enough to him and her.

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: AU Class for Instructors

Hi Folks,

I felt this thread deserved a new Forum to hold it, so I have moved it to the new "Education" forum located under "CAD Management" I will leave the redirect in the Ask the Bod area for the time being.

Paul,

Did you get this class approved?

RLB