Thread: The Project Browser needs to have Print / Export built-in.

Wish List Administration

Default The Project Browser needs to have Print / Export built-in.

Summary: The complete separation between the project browser and the Print and Export dialog boxes must be bridged.

Description: Users spend a lot of time and resources setting up sheet parameters, so that the Project Browser can show the sheets in specific groups; but then one cannot print those sheets. The users needs to go into the Print dialog box and pick every single sheet in the middle of a unorganized list of sheets.
    Same, if not worse, if the user needs to export a specific group of sheets which are properly grouped in the Project Browser.

It appears absolutely a basic functionality to be able to right click on a Project Browser sheet or view item/group and have in the pull down menu "Print" and "Export" commands available.

Because the Project Browser is such a flexible and customizable tool, it almost makes useless the "Print What" and "Export" dialog boxes altogether: views and sheets should be selected / specified via the Project Browser.

Product and Feature: Revit Architecture - Other

Submitted By: Giovanni Succi on 04/01/2013

All AUGI, all the time

Default Re: The Project Browser needs to have Print / Export built-in.

I agree, the power of the project browser is lacking many of the features that could greatly improve the workflow.

I would suggest this falls under a more general functionality that has been missing: a good tool for managing sheet sets. As it is, we can create parameters to manage the browser organization according to sheet set, but we separately have to manage the visibility of referenced views (with filters) because views shouldn't reference across sets, and seperately create sheet sets for printing, and tracking sheet issue dates. All these things could be handled by a sheet set manager. This added layer of management of the sheets could even allow the placement of a single view on mutiple sheets! (if the sheet sets are mutually exclusive, then a view could be referenced twice, once in each sheet set, without conflict). This would also allow duplicate sheet numbers and names...instead of having to get creative with the sheet numbering (A101 for the DP set, A-101 for the BP set, A-1.01 for the IFC set etc....) Not to mention the chalenge of issuing drawings under multiple tender packages....OK, I have to stop, I'm getting sad.

I totally agree, but lets do a step at a time! The factory takes its precious time to implement expanded features, lets begin with a rock-bottom basic functionality: in the project browser, under sheets, right click menu shows print /or export. The regular print dialog box opens, but only the sheets in the group where you clicked are already selected. Also, the sheet set dialog box creates automatic sets accordingly to the project browser hierarchy. Or the Export dialog box opens, but only the view under the item you right clicked are already selected and ready to go...

What do you say? A couple of interns programmers, for a few weeks, could hammer this out?

They made me wish I was a product designer at Autodesk...

All AUGI, all the time

You mean, every time you issue a drawing you give it a new number?

hu? What number?
    No, all I am saying is that the user can select views /sheets using the browser, and access the print or export dialog boxes directly and without need to make a selection in there. So, for example, you right click on a browser item which contains 20 sheets, and click on print, and the print dialog box opens with those 20 sheets pre-selected and ready to be printed. Same with export...

regards