Quote Originally Posted by nathanadamenos371163 View Post
Is there one you would recommend starting out with?
Sorry, I don't have any experience with them. But I think that's working backwards. Don't pick a software and then try to find a job using it. Think of what industry you want to work in and then get the skills. Like I said, software is just a tool, and they change. Then you'll have to learn that new software. What some others said about degrees bears upon the fact that employers want to know that you understand the whole process of the field you're in, not just a piece of software. For example, if you do choose something CAD related, like architectural design, employers are more concerned that you know the construction industry than the the software you use. That involves building codes, product specifications, construction practices, etc., etc. Those other things are what you go to school for. You could learn the software by reading Help or the user guide. Its all about understanding what you're drawing, not how to draw it. Knowing the software well makes you efficient and that's a plus, but it takes second place to practical knowledge. Employers know they can train you to use the software if necessary, but aren't willing to fund the expense of training you to know their industry.

The previous mostly applies to the technical and engineering fields. The entertainment industry focuses more on the creativity that you bring. Again, the software is just a tool for you to share your creativity.