Thread: New user

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default New user

Well I'm not exactly a new user but have not used a version of AutoCAD newer than version 2000 or 2002. I do all of my design work in packaging driven CAD system so I'm out of touch with AutoCAD.

Currently I have a need to open both AutoCAD and .dxf files and make minor modifications to existing drawings. Most modifications will be changing/adding annotation and or dimensions. Also some work with the title block formats. I will be receiving drawings from several different companies and they will have software of varying ages. Before I was running into some drawing compatibility issues with older software not being able to open drawings created with newer versions of AutoCAD. I also have to be able to send the drawings as true .dwg files.

Are there any recommendations on either AutoCAD LT or regular AutoCAD? Also any recommended version? I have a feeling a lot has changed since 2002 so I'm going to have to relearn some things.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: New user

Quote Originally Posted by nmayhorn373981 View Post
    Well I'm not exactly a new user but have not used a version of AutoCAD newer than version 2000 or 2002. I do all of my design work in packaging driven CAD system so I'm out of touch with AutoCAD.

Currently I have a need to open both AutoCAD and .dxf files and make minor modifications to existing drawings. Most modifications will be changing/adding annotation and or dimensions. Also some work with the title block formats. I will be receiving drawings from several different companies and they will have software of varying ages. Before I was running into some drawing compatibility issues with older software not being able to open drawings created with newer versions of AutoCAD. I also have to be able to send the drawings as true .dwg files.

Are there any recommendations on either AutoCAD LT or regular AutoCAD? Also any recommended version? I have a feeling a lot has changed since 2002 so I'm going to have to relearn some things.
    Hi, welcome to AUGI.

First, look into Autodesk Trueview 2013; this will allow you to convert between acad file versions - oh, and it's a free download.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

LT would suit your needs if it is 2D and Dimensions and Annotation are really all you need to change.
    Design Review could be a choice but I do not think you can change existing annotation.

Login to Give a bone

AutoCAD LT should be better for your need.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Do you want to spend +/-$1,200 or +/-$4,000?

Login to Give a bone

Or $0.00 given the minimal amount of editing that's described, Draftsight would probably be more than adequate, and is free for commercial or personal use.

Caveat - since you are dealing with drawings from a 'packaging driven CAD system', TEST Draftsight on copies of your drawings to ensure that there are no unexpected issues/incompatabilites. And go both directions -- verify that DS can open and edit your CAD files, and that you CAD package can open and edit a file _after_ it's been through Draftsight.

www.draftsight.com -- no financial interest,

Login to Give a bone

I [mis?]read the original post that the OP already had 2002LT.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

I think the OP dabbled and wondered what current program would make the most sense.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by clshade View Post
    I think the OP dabbled and wondered what current program would make the most sense.
    Yeah, I agree now.