Thread: Eagle Point Transition

Login to Give a bone

Default Eagle Point Transition

I work for an engineering and land surveying firm. Due to the phasing out of Eagle Point our firm is gearing up for the transition. I am pretty familiar with Civil3D and most of the functions; however, being an engineer and not a surveyor I am not well educated on the process of importing the points from the data collectors to Civil 3D. Our supplier is suggesting a module called Data Reduction which is essentially an EaglePoint add on for Civil3D. My question is this; is there a way in Civil3D to import these points directly from the data collectors without the use of additional software? It would seem foolish to me if Civil3D was to have all of the capability to manipulate process and create point data but does not have the ability to download them. Any help would be appreciated.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Eagle Point Transition

We also started from Eagle Point when we transitioned to Civil 3D. We have had both the Surveyor's Companion and Data Reduction Modules. Civil 3D does not need to use EP's Data Reduction module to import points. Civil 3D has come a long way with the Survey Database. It imports points and automatically draw lines (figures in C3D) quite nicely. It takes a while to set up, but then so did Eagle Point. We made the decision to drop EP's Data Reduction and just use Civil 3D so that we didn't have another software to manage. We still use Surveyor's Companion as that has a few tools that the surveyor's like. That said, Eagle Point has some top notch people who really know Civil 3D - take advantage of that. I took a styles class from Don Quinn (sp?) that was awesome.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Eagle Point Transition

I am working with my current company transition out of Eagle Point and into CIVIL 3D 2014. Are they any major differences between Eagle Point and CIVIL3D? The Survey Project Manager says that there is some functionality issues that have kept them from moving to CIVIL3D in the past but I am not to sure what he means.

I have a meeting later this week and I hope to clarify some of the issues but I also wanted to go into the meeting with some knowledge that might help him feel more confident about using CIVIL3D.

I am not familiar at all with Eagle Point so any input that can be provided is appreciated.