See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you manage Ribbon Interface with 16:9 monitor

Login to Give a bone

Default How do you manage Ribbon Interface with 16:9 monitor

Hello Everybody

Here in India we cannot afford giant size monitors. An average AEC firm would have a 23 inch monitor or 21 inches. Now almost all the monitors are 16:9. So already the height of the monitor is reduced when compared to the 4:3 monitor.

With the Ribbon Interface, the height of the drawing space becomes even less. Of course the ribbon can be minimized etc. but it is a nuisance revoking it and minimizing again. the 2008 version IMHO had a better interface with dashboards which occupied the vertical space on the right side. This way the height of the drawing space is not affected. It used to be a good interface - why change this into Ribbon mimicking MS Office for a CAD program?

I know that you could still have the Classic interface - but you lose the convenience of the ribbon. Frankly, I am a "command line only" person. But I would like to get used to the Ribbon also. Only at this point of time it started to irritate me the small height of the drawing space.

How do you people manage this? By very huge monitors? or may be you are using highly advanced models where you have a choice for a 4:3 format? I am struggling. I would like to use AutoCAD the way the rest of the world uses - though I am very fast in command line and know by heart most of the commands & shortcut keys. Sometimes i work in FullScreen mode.

Thanks in advance
    PRSS

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How do you manage Ribbon Interface with 16:9 monitor

The Ribbon Tool Palette... You did know that it's a Tool Palette, right?... Can be 'undocked', and anchored like any other Tool Palette.

... Simply Right Click the Ribbon, then select Undock.

"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the fast response. So they could be docked on the right side like the dashboard. But is the rest of the world using it this way? I think not - most are using it in the default ribbon interface which reduces the height of the drawing area. I was asking if they use huge monitors for the ribbon.

With best regards
    PRSS

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by PRSS View Post
    Thanks for the fast response. So they could be docked on the right side like the dashboard. But is the rest of the world using it this way? I think not - most are using it in the default ribbon interface which reduces the height of the drawing area. I was asking if they use huge monitors for the ribbon.
    I only use dual 24" widescreen monitors at work, and have no issues with the Ribbon docked in it's normal position (Top)... At home I have a 20" widescreen monitor, again, with no issues.

HTH

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I traditionally use the keyboard for most of my functions since I learned CAD way back in the DOS days. With that said I will probably be one of the few people who says they like the ribbon as I hate toolbars.

There are a few things about the ribbon that I really like and might help you.

1. I have my ribbon at the top of my screen and have it set to "Minimized to tabs" so only the names like Home, OutPut, etc are shown. When I want to use the ribbon to xref in a drawing, i click on the Insert Tab and there I will find my reference panel. Once I am done it the ribbon simply hides till i need it agan.

2. This I really like. Basically you can pull any of the panels you need into the CAD environment right off of the ribbon. So lets say you are dimensioning a drawing. Click on the Annotate tab and then click on the dimensions panel and drag that into your screen. Now you have all of your dimension tools on your main screen and can utilize them with out having your ribbon open. When you done, simple click on the small arrow in the upper right that reads "Return Panels to Ribbon" and it will go right back to the ribbon where you it placed.

3. You can create a custom Ribbon that is made up of just the tools that you want to be on it. I would create a new workspace first. Then customize it how you would like.

I don't use a custom ribbon as I am more familiar with the default layout but you can even drag the panels around on the ribbon so that they are even in a different spot that might work better for you.

I hope these ideas help.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by PRSS View Post

With best regards
    PRSS
    At home I have a 17" widescreen and use it docked on the side.
    At work, I have a 20" and keep it on the top, but, sometimes autocollapse it if I feel the need for a little more screen space.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Also, for reference, one can change the visible height of the Ribbon when docked at top via RibbonDockedHeight System Variable.

** ETA - While 0 is an accepted value, I do not see much change (visibly) when below 50, given a screen resolution of 1680x1050.

Computer Specs:

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
    Also, for reference, one can change the visible height of the Ribbon when docked at top via RibbonDockedHeight System Variable.

** ETA - While 0 is an accepted value, I do not see much change (visibly) when below 50, given a screen resolution of 1680x1050.
    It also appears that you can not go any higher then 500.... why someone would want it that big is beyond me... but maybe you could play a little joke on someone who isnt too familar with that system variable.

Another idea, to take what BlackBox said about the ribbon being a palette, is that you can move your palettes onto a second or third monitor (assuming that you have more then one) this will clear up a lot of space in your CAD environment. I have most of my pallettes I use regularly located on my second monitor.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Iceberg View Post
    It also appears that you can not go any higher then 500.... why someone would want it that big is beyond me...
    Speculation: That Ribbon height would allow more buttons (i.e., rows) 'above' the fold?

I agree that it's plenty 'tall' enough for my liking OOTB.

but maybe you could play a little joke on someone who isnt too familar with that system variable.
    I have a million of them (pranks that is)... Like this lil' ditty, for starters:

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
    Edit: WARNING - Use at your own risk.

<snip>

Another idea, to take what BlackBox said about the ribbon being a palette, is that you can move your palettes onto a second or third monitor (assuming that you have more then one) this will clear up a lot of space in your CAD environment. I have most of my pallettes I use regularly located on my second monitor.
    That might also be helpful to others; good observation.

Computer Specs:

Login to Give a bone

Thank you every body. That clears up one thing - each one has his/her own ways of using the ribbon

Second, seeing the replies it seems that not the entire rest of the world is using huge monitors - that does comfort me !!

Because when you Google search on these matters, what I see is people using 27 / 29 / or even 32 inch monitors - some using two 27 inch monitors.
    This started making me feel whether we here are being too spartan to spend on huge monitors.

With best regards
    PRSS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast