Thread: Create Blocks with attributes from attached .mdb file

Login to Give a bone

Default Create Blocks with attributes from attached .mdb file

I hope I can explain this correctly. I have an access database attached to a blank drawing. The database is a list of existing oil wells. I want to have civil3d (or map) create a custom block (I already have the blocks created) inserted at a coordinate in the database and propagate the other fields in the database into attributes in the blocks. For instance, the first two fields in the database are the x and y. Some of the other fields in the database are the well status and company name. Is it possible for Map to read the first two fields to know where to put the block, then select the block to insert based on wells status and company name, and then complete attributes from the other fields (section, township, range, county, etc) into the block? I'm having a hard time getting my head wrapped around the map3d user's guide talking about topologies, link templates, object classifications, etc. Using Civil3D 2013 infrastructure design suite, Win 7 64-bit, office 64-bit.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Create Blocks with attributes from attached .mdb file

First Welcome to AUGI.
    Second there's no easy button to do what you want. One way is use map import and select ASCII piont text file as the type, after you opened the MDB and saved to a txt file of course.
    This will create point blocks using the x,y,z data and a point number and short desc from the file. Then you would need to link those back to the mdb to get the rest of the info.

OR
    If you know list you can write a short lsp to read the txt file and import the blocks and write the attributes from the file. You might find a lsp out there already that may be edited to work for your data.
    Then again you might find something from DotSoft
    or a google search.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Create Blocks with attributes from attached .mdb file

Thanks for the welcome Murph! I'm going to explore some more and see what I can do.

Thanks