Thread: Data Referencing Volume Surfaces

Login to Give a bone

Default Data Referencing Volume Surfaces

So I have a file for my surface, and another file for doing earthworks calculations in seperate from the main surface file using data shortcuts.

I create a volume surface comparing the existing and proposed sites to come up with cut/fill calculations to display on the final sheet. I go into said sheet, where I have data referenced in the volume surface. Everything is working fine it seems, and then I create a dynamic cut/fill annotation table to display the total cut and total fill (-9m to 0m, 0m to 9m are the two ranges). Now, in the earthworks model file, it shows that the total volume is 115,000m^3 (this volume calculation is all cut). HOWEVER, in the sheet file where the surface is data referenced into, the annotation table shows a volume that is nearly 1/3rd the actual volume. Quick byhand calculations (old school geometry for the win) confirm that the first number is correct. Is Civil 3D losing data in the referencing? This boggles my mind. Any suggestions? Is this a bug, did I do something wrong, or is this just a shortcoming of the software's abilities?
    Thanks!
    -David KL

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Data Referencing Volume Surfaces

thank goodness for hand calculations - saved my butt more than a few times...I digress..

First, check to ensure that all of your surfaces are re-built and references updated in both drawings
    Second, if you`re creating a data table referencing a data table in the source file, ensure that your data has been updated....

it sounds like it may just be obsolete or incorrect information lost in referencing.

Good luck

Sean

Login to Give a bone

Wow. Forgot I had posted this ages ago. I know with this problem I updated all source references and surfaces (in all applicable files). The issue seemed to be specifically happening only when I referenced the volume surface and created a data table for that reference. If I created the volume surface from reference surfaces in the sheet file, I did not have this problem. In the end, for this particular project, that was what I did. The other option was to xref the file the volume surface was created in for display of that file's data table.

Haven't, to my knowledge, needed to do this much since, or just did the xref work around the other times. Thanks for answering a 2 year old post!

Login to Give a bone

lol - I guess I should check the dates before I reply...