Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiple window autocad on multiple monitors

Wish List Administration

Default Multiple window autocad on multiple monitors

Summary: autocad to have multiple separated windows so that you can have a window open on one monitor in paper space and another windows on the other monitor in model space. Each space will update and you can work between different windows instantly. You can move windows around to suit your drawing style.

Description: Autocad to have multiple separated windows so that you can have a window open on one monitor in paper space and another windows on the other monitor in model space. Each space will update and you can work between different windows instantly. You can move windows around to suit your drawing style and possibly remove the restriction of having small vertical or horizontal windows in just one model space locked in the autocad window.

Product and Feature: AutoCAD - Deployment

Submitted By: stephen gamble on 05/17/2013

Default Re: Multiple window autocad on multiple monitors

Quote Originally Posted by Wish List System View Post
    Summary: autocad to have multiple separated windows so that you can have a window open on one monitor in paper space and another windows on the other monitor in model space. Each space will update and you can work between different windows instantly. You can move windows around to suit your drawing style.

Description: Autocad to have multiple separated windows so that you can have a window open on one monitor in paper space and another windows on the other monitor in model space. Each space will update and you can work between different windows instantly. You can move windows around to suit your drawing style and possibly remove the restriction of having small vertical or horizontal windows in just one model space locked in the autocad window.

Product and Feature: AutoCAD - Deployment

Submitted By: stephen gamble on 05/17/2013
    This is easy enough if you use viewports and just lock them. I know it's not the actual thing you are looking for, but it's something that works as is.

I have to assume that the OP wants both windows to be viewing the same file.
    If not, there is no reason not to run two sessions, one on each monitor.

Just for the fun of it - and probably of no real use - here is acad spread across two monitors with the same file opened four times.
    Of course only the first instance can usefully be modified (but the others can be reloaded after a save of the first).

acadx2.png

[ignore the nvidia notice - it's temporary]

So basically the OP wants AutoCAD to do what Revit can do...? That's a change. Since AutoCAD is really a 2D program (Yes, I know it does 3D too) it focuses on one view at a time. But if I was still using AutoCAD it might be nice to have one Layout open and another layout open side by side instead of clicking between the two.
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

I have long missed this feature from Microstation where I could have multiple view open and total inter-working i.e. one view showing overall project, able to zoom in to a specific areas with different views, then able to start an entity in one detail and end it in the other detail views.

Quote Originally Posted by mtmansam View Post
    I have long missed this feature from Microstation where I could have multiple view open and total inter-working i.e. one view showing overall project, able to zoom in to a specific areas with different views, then able to start an entity in one detail and end it in the other detail views.
    Are you saying you can't do this in AutoCAD ?

Certifiable AUGI Addict

AutoCAD's been able to do that as long as I've been using it, 20 years now.

Ah....yeah, forgot that this was possible....

Click the "-" in the top left hand corner of the window....then select "Viewport Configuration List"...make your selection of how many views you want.
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

Well, in uStn you can do that with child windows - resizable, movable, orderable (eg back to front). thnink of having 8 model space vports, each in their own window that's independently controllable each showing a separate view of the same open file - whether zoomed in tightly, isometric views, or overall. Or both Layout1, 2 & 3 open and visible concurrently.

There I times that would be incredibly handly - being able to work on both ends of a 14 mile alignment at the same time, and MOVing or COPYing between child windows w/o using the Windows clipboard and getting the temp blocks.

Other times the visual clutter would just get to be too much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast