Thread: AW201305 XPadder

Login to Give a bone

Default AW201305 XPadder

I've been looking for ways to make Navisworks more accessible to casual users, and after reading the article in the latest Augi World about using an XBox360 controller I spent 20 quid on the wireless adapter and 6 quid on the Xpadder app, and I have to say that after spending 1/2 hour setting it all up I'm ready to ditch it after 2 minutes use. The reason for this post isn't to have a go at the article (credit to anyone who puts in the time to write an article) but to ask if anyone thinks I should persevere.

I'm perfectly happy driving around Navisworks using mouse, and all of our regular Navisworks users are too, it's just casual users that never seem to get up to speed. I recently bought a spacemouse for them, but no-one got on with it because of the tendency for it do too much at once. I thought the XBox controller would be ideal having one stick to move and the other to look, but the response in Navisworks is extremely jerky, and totally lacking in fluidity (particularly looking around). So far it's not a patch on using the mouse.

So, am I missing something or should I get people to stick with the mouse?
    Last edited by colmag6; 2013-05-21 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Typo

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AW201305 XPadder

Most people are used to using a mouse to get around in every program, and not many are gamers enough to be comforable with a gaming-style controller in the first place. Have to watch out for gamer claw too. Maybe one of the racing wheel controlers instead?

Login to Give a bone

I agree with what you say about people being familiar with using a mouse, but for some reason some people just struggle to walk around a 3D model with a mouse.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Hey
    I am also interested by this topic, especially after tested COMOS Walkinside, where gamepad is much more ergonomic.
    My company using, may be too much, Naviswork to visualize plant made with AVEVA product, and I will try to find the best setting that I had for Walk inside

regards