Thread: Drawing from Surveyor is rotated in an assumed coordinate system

Login to Give a bone

Question Drawing from Surveyor is rotated in an assumed coordinate system

I received the attached drawing file "A" from a surveyor that was created in an earlier version of AutoCAD (approx 2000). The attached drawing is rotated so that the view in Model Space shows the cross-hairs with north pointing northwest. There are points included within the drawing that do not match the coordinates of the surveyed points within the attached ascii text file. I would like to rotate the drawing so that the points match the coordinates in the ascii file and North follows the y-axis.

I have imported the points from the ascii text file into a new drawing file "B". I external referenced (overlay) the new drawing file B into drawing A. I tried moving all of the objects in the drawing file A (with MOVE) to a known point coordinate and then rotating (ROTATE) the objects to two known points. I don't know how to select all of the objects in drawing A and not the external reference in drawing B so that I may Rotate only drawing A objects.

Any suggestions on how to move and rotate the surveyors drawing A would be appreciated so that I may match the coordinates in the ascii text file would be appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Drawing from Surveyor is rotated in an assumed coordinate system

A couple of options. If you've selected everything in the drawing you can hold down the Shift key and then pick on the objects to unselect them. You could also make sure that your xref drawing is on a locked layer.

Login to Give a bone

Thank you for your suggestions. I like the Locked Layer option.

Some one else from the AutoDesk Discussion Groups suggested using the AutoCAD Group command to temporarily select all the objects you want to move and rotate. Don't forget to assign a Name to the group prior to selecting the objects . When you are done moving and rotating the objects in a group you have to use the command -group and select explode.

Login to Give a bone

I'd also suggest that you require all future surveys to be in a standard coordinate system. If in the US, the appropriate State Plane, other nations have their own documented coordinates. How else can you ever bring additional information in if there's not a standard CS in use?