Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why can't I filter a schedule by family name or type name?

Login to Give a bone

Default Why can't I filter a schedule by family name or type name?

I've never understood this. I want a schedule showing only my church pew seating. I create a furniture schedule with the fields Family, Type, and Family & Type, but none of those fields are available for me to filter the schedule by. Why is this not possible? Yes I know I can add some other field or use the Comments field and put in a comment on all the pews to filter it, but what if I need that field for some other comment? I don't understand why filtering a schedule by a particular family name or type name is not, and has never been possible. Any ideas?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Why can't I filter a schedule by family name or type name?

My disclaimer is I've never really tried to, so on with the show.....

I think it has to do with the concept that Everyone has control over the field so why should it be a thing a programmer would want you to use... Just kidding a bit there..

I honestly don't know, but I have a guess no one really thought of the need...

But I do have a work around if there is not a better way... You could schedule the class and then sort by the family (in one fashion or another), add totals per the family and all that jazz if needed. Then when you place the schedule on the page just spit the schedule and move the parts not needed off the page. so basically you're only going to print a portion of the schedule. This does create some need to look a the pages before you release to make sure your schedule is split correctly, but and minor thing to correct if needed... I do do this process in another way (I have scheules that can take up many pages)

Login to Give a bone

Splitting and moving off-page doesn't work when totals are calculated/needed, which is the reason for me making the schedule.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

The best solution I've found is to use an Add-In from Case Inc. that takes the data from any one parameter and copies it to another parameter. So I've created a Shared or Project parameter called Type_S (for schedule or something like that) and copied the Type data into Type_S. You just have to remember to run the Add-In before working/sending the schedule, since the new parameter doesn't automatically update.

I've also found a unique type parameter in the Type(s) I want to include/exclude and used that as a filter, but that only sometimes works.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by patricks View Post
    Splitting and moving off-page doesn't work when totals are calculated/needed, which is the reason for me making the schedule.
    Sure it does... you just have to tell it sort by family with header & footer. select the title, count, and totals with a blank line, to total the sub-headers... If you have some columns you need to calculate you need to select the formatting=>fields=><the field you want> check on the calculate totals and you should have all the totals you want. put the schedule on the page and split it (maybe a few times) and move the slices to section out just the data you want (look for the move symbols in the upper left of the sectioned out schedule to move individually). Then move the individual sections from the schedule off the page as needed and sha bang you got it....

If your having trouble plotting, I like to make a rectangle 5 times bigger than the sheet so I have some no-plot space, tell it to plot only the area I want. (it will start in the upper right extents point so you will need to make negative numbers to hit the offset from corner that is technically -2x the height and width of the page and your good.

I'm not much for add-ins as Revit changes every year, and I'm not too confident that the add-ins will always right as Revit does...

Login to Give a bone

I agree that there is a need for this. It would make things a lot easier if we could Filter a Schedule by Family Name and Type Name without using a work-around. We want Revit to run without the need for work-arounds. This would eliminate one, and this would make Revit Schedules much better. We've been getting by with custom Project Parameters, but it would be great if this functionality could be considered.

It's an open wishlist item - I encourage a lot of people to give it a high ranking to make it a priority for Autodesk to incorporate this functionality.

http://www.augi.com/wishlist/rank-wi...tecture/463692

Schedules need a lot more work than just this though, like:
    Being able to modify Multiple Cells at once (using CTRL and Shift)
    Being able to Sort more than 4 levels deep;
    Allowing the Schedule Title to carry a different parameter than the Schedule Name (like Title on Sheet);
    Retain current values of Schedule cells when changing a Schedule Key parameter value back to (none);
    Being able to Filter a Schedule View out of the Project Browser;
    etc.

In Revit 2014, Schedules "look" better. In 2015, I hope they "work" better.

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I got my own addin that pushed automatically to a predefined SP. No need for mapping anything as you just pick the category and it pushes those values.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dhurtubise View Post
    I got my own addin that pushed automatically to a predefined SP. No need for mapping anything as you just pick the category and it pushes those values.
    By "pushes those values" do you mean that the shared parameter automatically updates when the Family and Type parameters change? Would you be willing to share it?

I could stop if I wanted to Haden's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by damon.sidel View Post
    The best solution I've found is to use an Add-In from Case Inc. that takes the data from any one parameter and copies it to another parameter. So I've created a Shared or Project parameter called Type_S (for schedule or something like that) and copied the Type data into Type_S. You just have to remember to run the Add-In before working/sending the schedule, since the new parameter doesn't automatically update.
    I just installed their free app, called "Migrate Parameter to Parameter," but it will not let you use the Type. (The support person told me that since "Type" is not a "Parameter," it does not support that.) So close, but yet so far away!

All AUGI, all the time Duncan Lithgow's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by scottl.223600 View Post
    Allowing the Schedule Title to carry a different parameter than the Schedule Name (like Title on Sheet)
    Here's the old way to fix this problem: http://revitoped.blogspot.dk/2008/08...ule-title.html
    and here's the new way: http://revitoped.blogspot.dk/2013/06...nd-header.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast