Thread: Line Angle Pole Calculation and Dimensoning - Need Help!

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Question Line Angle Pole Calculation and Dimensoning - Need Help!

I've recently been hired as CAD Manager for a company that fabricates twelve sided steel poles, used in the electrical industry. For my first task, I've been asked to develop a program using a dynamic block of the top view of a pole with adjustable vangs. Vangs are the metal plates that insulators hang off of. So far, I've drawn the block (fig. 1), giving it the following parameters: A center point parameter, and two rotation parameters, each with a rotate action associated with it, and once inserted into a drawing, the vangs can be adjusted, rotating from the center of the pole by adjusting the number of the angle in the change properties palette. (Fig. 2) Now the part I need help with- notice that since AutoCAD is reading zero from the straight East, putting 90 degrees straight up, in order for the vangs to be rotated +30 degrees and -30 degrees from the top centerline, the numbers for the angles have to be put in as 60 (90-30), and 120 (90+30). I know I can change the angbase so that zero is at the top, but I'm not sure if that will help me in the end, cause here's where I'm going with this: Notice that the total angle between the vangs is 60 degrees (+30 and -30 from the top centerline). This is the angle that a utility wire changes direction as it tangents off of that pole, and this is called the LINE ANGLE. The line angle is what my company uses to manufacture their poles. They want to be able to insert the pole into a drawing, enter the line angle at the prompt and have the block come in with the vangs adjusted half the line angle positive and half the angle negative from the top centerline, and they want annotative dimensions that will adjust with the angle of the vangs, showing the total line angle and the negative line angle from the top centerline (as shown in Fig. 3.) I hope this isn't too confusing. If I need to clarify anything, let me know and I'll be happy to, and I thank you much to anybody that takes an interest in this. I know some of you love to wrap their minds around equations like this, I do. I'm using AutoCAD Release 2012.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by chris_girkin390637; 2013-06-15 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Add in release I'm using. There was no prefix pull-down for the year as per instructions.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Line Angle Pole Calculation and Dimensoning - Need Help!

Maybe you can get further help if you upload a DWG sample , with line , and pole block.

A real dwg .