Thread: Can I limit the characters in the sheet name reference in a section head

Login to Give a bone

Default Can I limit the characters in the sheet name reference in a section head

Hi,
    Does anyone know if you can limit the characters in the sheet name call out? Some of our clients have very long drawing numbers referencing areas and disciplines. The only numbers I want to show up in the bubble are the last 4 digits. In excel the formula would be =RIGHT(cell ref, 4). Please let me know if you know of a way to do this. Initially my work around was to split the drawing number in the titleblock into 3 separate parameters. We have a new project that the last 4 digits in the concrete are the same as the last 4 digits of the structural steel and our old work around won't work.

Thanks!!!

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can I limit the characters in the sheet name reference in a section head

No way I am aware of. Assuming that the last four digits are the actual 'sheet number' the best approach I've used in the past is to assign all the other stuff (discipline code, project ID, Building ID, Drawing Group etc to one or several parameters and then just use the last four digits as your 'sequence' number. All you need to do is make sure that whatever schema you use allows for unique naming (numbering) for the sheet number.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can I limit the characters in the sheet name reference in a section head

An option may be to have the sheet number (the one actually listed on the sheet - ie S-101) be a different parameter. I would create the sheets using the shortened numbering scheme (S-101). And then you could fill in the parameter for the "dumb" sheet number (Y362-301-231-S-101).
    Option 2 would be similar. Create the sheets with the shortened number and in the title block, simply place some text for the prefix (this assumes the prefix is always the same).
    Either of these methods would produce a standard revit section cut with a shorter sheet number.
    Before doing any of these suggestions, you may want to ask yourself "What does the client require in the end".
    On my current project I just bit the bullet and used all 12 digits. Not my choice, but hey, sometimes you have to do what the client asks, no matter how insane the request may be.

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david_peterson View Post
    On my current project I just bit the bullet and used all 12 digits. .
    One you need to remember is that when details are referenced to a sheet then a 12 digit drawing number/sheet number makes the detail bubble contents take up way too much room IMHO.
    This is when you go the client and ask what they want but politely explain to them why it may not be the best way or even necessary.
    Just sayin'

Login to Give a bone

Trust me I hear you.
    But when you're doing facility drawings for 1.4 million sqft building on a campus of 30 other buildings and the FDA says, you need to be able to pull any record drawing at a moments notice.... shortening the number of digits really doesn't work. Plus for record drawings that's what their standard lists. So if 4yrs when I have to export to autocad for their facility drawings, they can easily be converted to attributes to be entered in their drawing management system.
    If given the choice, I'd be using less numbers.

Login to Give a bone

Hi I solved this recently.

In your title sheet template, make sure that the Sheet Number and the Project number are different parameters in the same label. Add a hyphen suffix between them.
    Next in your project make sure your sheet names are only the sheet number and not the project number also. Then all the section and detail references will only have your sheet numbers referenced and not the jog number also. So my sections say (04)201 rather than A1346-(04)201.

Hope this helps

Kevin

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

There is a problem with drawing number in sheets. i need full drawing number in sheets to generate list of drawings with names. but i need only last 4 or 5 digit drawing number to be shown in title head. can one can support on this?

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Friends,

can anyone help to find the critical path in model which has been generated in ESP report? and also i need how to define the nodes in model based the report.

Login to Give a bone

My suggestion would be to export the drawings list as it is. I'm assuming you need to display the full drawing number everywhere else, but the report.

Export the list to Excel, add a column to the worksheet. Create a formula to grab the last 4-5 charters in the cell and copy them to the new row.
    Create a new shared parameter for sheets. (Say ESP Drawing Number).
    Write a Dynamo graph to import the updated data to your model.
    Or you can use one of the many Pay For Add-ins to do a similar process of exporting and importing data from Excel.
    You might even be able to use Dynamo to just grab the numbers and shorten them and fill int he parameter data in one shot. But I haven't tried something like that yet.

Then in your sheet list (schedule) just use the ESP Drawing number vs sheet number
    Anyway, that's my suggestion.