Thread: Joints for low subdivision polygons

Login to Give a bone

Default Joints for low subdivision polygons

I am pretty new to maya, i've been using it for about a year, and honestly, i am not too great at it. But i have encountered an issue. Lets say i have a rectangular prism with only one subdivision going down the width. When i make a joint and an ik handle and i move it, one of the ends stays how i want it, while the other end shrinks. How do i make it so that it stays sharp, but nothing shrinks. If possible
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Joints for low subdivision polygons

Welcome to AUGI, and congrats on your first post!

It sounds as though the placement of the subject ik handle/joint is deforming the prism geometry... Perhaps moving the placement of the ik handle/joint beyond the limits of the prism geometry will help.

Hope this helps (HTH).
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

I don't understand. I am new to maya mabye 6 months. Also to add i am 13, but you know i want to start early. And, If you could specify how to do some of the things you stated that would be great.

Login to Give a bone

Wow... Only 13? Maya is an expensive application; your family must really love you to have purchased you a fully licensed copy so young.

In any event, looking at the image you posted above more closely, I now suspect that you've not associated all of the geometry of your 'bending' arm with the rig correctly... The 'shrinkage' you're experiencing appears to be a result of the last bit of geometry (vertices, etc.) staying put (i.e., not bending with the rig)... Try copying the geometry over without the rig, and re-rig it, this time be extra sure that you've included all geometry components when you get to that 'bending' arm.

Try it again, and we'll go from there.

HTH

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

I think that the issue is that the faces are not bound correctly, but i don't know how to do that. Also I'm only using one polygon with one subdivision down the middle, and it makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong, is the problem me binding the skin, or the polygon in general?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by epicnerd2392443 View Post
    I think that the issue is that the faces are not bound correctly
    Correct. That's what I described above, albeit speculatively.

Quote Originally Posted by epicnerd2392443 View Post
    ... I'm only using one polygon with one subdivision down the middle
    This could be the problem.

You see, one can transform geometry of sufficient complexity (i.e., lots of contours, vertices, etc.), but to attempt to 'bend' a single polygon with only one subdivision is not going to yield the same result as when two, separate polygons are 'bent' (one for each part of the 'arm'). There's simply not enough geometry to constrain as the 'elbow', which is why you see the distortion... If that makes sense?

Separately, are you entirely self-taught, or have you completed some web/video training courses?

If you're interested in learning more about Maya, you might want to look into Digital Tutors - Back when I went to college for Computer Animation (many moons ago, before Autodesk acquired Maya from Alias|Wavefront), some of these training videos were better than what we got from our actual instructor led courses. I think you'll enjoy them.

Cheers

Computer Specs:

Login to Give a bone

Well i am mostly self taught, I haven't had any training courses, unless you count some internet videos, which is where i learned just about everything. And yes i totally get what you said in the first part, the only problem i have is when i have 2 polygons and i try to move it i can just see the back of one of the polygons peeking out. And I don't know the proper way. I'll look through the Digital Tutors. And thanks for helping.

Login to Give a bone

You're welcome; and good luck to you!

Computer Specs: