Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Install difficulties, but, only on one machine

Login to Give a bone

Default Install difficulties, but, only on one machine

I had the IT guy in to take a look and he said it did not look like a permissions issue.

I'm trying to install AutoCAD MEP 2013 and Revit MEP onto a machine (where they were previously installed, but, had been uninstalled maybe 18 months ago... it's possible I only had 2011 and 2012 on here, not 2013, hard to say).

Windows XP SP3.

I did install AutoCAD MEP successfully from the same disc to my laptop (same OS).

Any tips on how to get around these errors (which completely stop the install)?

Screenshot001 is from Revit MEP, the 2nd one is from AutoCAD MEP.

After installing from the DVD failed, I copied the contents over to a local drive and tried that way. No joy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Install difficulties, but, only on one machine

You may want to try a "clean" uninstall before trying to reinstall again. Sometimes failed installations (or successful un-installations) leave bits and pieces behind that interfere with a proper installation. http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TS45252

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dkoch View Post
    You may want to try a "clean" uninstall before trying to reinstall again. Sometimes failed installations (or successful un-installations) leave bits and pieces behind that interfere with a proper installation. http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TS45252
    I thought I had done that and searched for any artifacts... but, you're right... I should step through and ensure I did it right... there's got to be something on the machine that's mucking it up, since the install on my laptop worked just fine.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    I thought I had done that and searched for any artifacts... but, you're right... I should step through and ensure I did it right... there's got to be something on the machine that's mucking it up, since the install on my laptop worked just fine.
    Hmm, don't see anything left from the autocad install specifically, but, there were still some peripherals installed... I need to keep the existing TrueView and Revit installed on this machine, so I'm hoping none of the other things I'm taking away now will break them. ~fingers crossed~ lol.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

Blerg.
    If this were my own pc, I would've wiped it when I repurposed it. Or I would be wiping it right now.
    Alas, IT won't just give me an image disk.

So, I deleted MOST of the registry entries.
    Unfortunately, with my own workstation out of commision, this pc is the only one that still has a copy of Revit on it and I can't risk mucking that up by deleting every autodesk registry entry like I'd prefer.
    ~sighs~ Oh, well. I'll just have to cope with the laptop for now.
    (this pc is on the list for replacement or refresh to install Windows 7, so it'll be fresh for me soon.)

Appreciate the pointer to the checklist, David.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

We have had issues being able to uninstall design review properly and one of your images looks like it can't write to something dealing with design review. I found this blog post helpful: http://dwf.blogs.com/beyond_the_pape...-visual-c.html

It had something to do with MS Visual C++ 2005 SP1. The blog post has a script to forcefully remove all Design Review installs.

I'd recommend running the script and then trying to install Revit/AMEP again as I recall those versions requiring DR to install properly.

As for the image library, no idea, but perhaps it's related to the same C++ SP...

Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

There had been many times when I have encountered that kind of problem. Stepping through and searching for artifacts manually is one way to go about it. Another is to install something like Revo Uninstaller.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_..._download.html

There are both a freeware and Pro versions, freeware version did the trick in my case.

Of course, it goes without saying the requisite backups need to be made.
    Last edited by thechinaman; 2013-07-08 at 06:18 AM. Reason: addition

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by thechinaman View Post
    There had been many times when I have encountered that kind of problem. Stepping through and searching for artifacts manually is one way to go about it. Another is to install something like Revo Uninstaller.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_..._download.html

There are both a freeware and Pro versions, freeware version did the trick in my case.

Of course, it goes without saying the requisite backups need to be made.
    Ah, good tip! I've heard about that product, but, had completely forgotten about it.

I ended up just giving up on this one... I should have my workstation back tomorrow, and the 'problem' workstation will be taken for reformatting or replacement within a couple of weeks as a part of the refresh cycle.

Oh, Steve, thanks for the tip... I chased that down last Wednesday, but, that wasn't my problem. Appreciate the pointer though, hopefully it'll help someone else if they do a search on this in the future.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

Ah well, it was worth a shot. Reformat is the easy way out though...
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Bennett View Post
    Ah well, it was worth a shot. Reformat is the easy way out though...
    you're preaching to the converted, brother steve...

~tappity tappity~ Still waiting on the delivery time for the return my workstation... which, of course, still needs to have my design suite installed.
    I was warned by my desktop guy that I won't have admin rights by default now that it's been 'upgraded'. So, I did threaten to flog my boss with wet noodles if he didn't find time in his schedule to add his approval to my urgent request for administrative access to be 'added' to my newly reformatted machine. ~jumping through hoops thusly~ I hope IT doesn't dawdle with getting that part through before bringing it back to me...
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Technical Editor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast