Thread: miscellaneous metals layout and fabrication - some advice please

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Question miscellaneous metals layout and fabrication - some advice please

I currently work in stone cladding layout and fabrication drafting. Recently a client has asked if we are capable of doing miscellaneous metals layout and fabrication drawings. Having limited experience with this type of drafting I was hoping there is someone here that may be able to give me some insight into what these drawings involve.

1. Is there a sample of what a miscellaneous metals layout and/or fabrication drawing would look like that I could see?
    2. Would Autocad (2d) be efficient to produce these drawings?
    3. I do have autodesk inventor experience, would this be an efficient program? better or worse than Autocad
    4. what kind or drafting rate is average for this type of drafting?
    5. any general advice that you may provide would be great.

Thanks in advance

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: miscellaneous metals layout and fabrication - some advice please

You could use AutoCAD, but I would recommend Inventor for the layout of metal. However, I have not used Inventor. I believe it is more suited to your needs for this task, though.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dustincsouth953961 View Post
    I currently work in stone cladding layout and fabrication drafting. Recently a client has asked if we are capable of doing miscellaneous metals layout and fabrication drawings. Having limited experience with this type of drafting I was hoping there is someone here that may be able to give me some insight into what these drawings involve.

1. Is there a sample of what a miscellaneous metals layout and/or fabrication drawing would look like that I could see?
    3. I do have autodesk inventor experience, would this be an efficient program? better or worse than Autocad

Thanks in advance
    Hi, welcome to AUGI.

Very variable - could be simple flat plate, nuts & bolts or a submarine.
    Almost certainly.
    Could be perfect; could be massive overkill. Depends what the client wants/needs.
    How long is a piece of string? I used to get £25 per hour; some get £10 per hour - this is in UK, btw.
    It could be extremely simple but you should be aware of relevant standards - BS, ISO, ANSI/ASME, whatever. [I've worked for a cladding company and there were no standards.]
    If you can get, say, a pdf of a typical component, it might help.

Login to Give a bone

Follow up -
    Are you enquiring on your own behalf or your employer's?
    You employer will know how much he charges for your time (a lot more than he pays you). The only variable is time.
    What industry is the client in? What do they make?
    Does the client just want drawings (pieces of paper) or files? Which CAD system does the client use, if any?