Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Question - Piping system types: how to have return piping "stay" as return piping when drawing a bypass pipe?

Login to Give a bone

Default Stupid Question - Piping system types: how to have return piping "stay" as return piping when drawing a bypass pipe?

Stupid question: When drawing HW piping systems when you have a bypass between the HW supply piping and the HW return piping, how do you keep/lock the return piping system type as return?
    When the bypass is connected into the supply piping all the supply piping turns into return piping or vice-versa. How do we install a bypass pipe between the return and supply and keep / lock the supply pipe system type as supply and the return piping as systems type return?

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Stupid Question - Piping system types: how to have return piping "stay" as return piping when drawing a bypass pipe?

I believe you need to add a coupling on the bypass line. This will allow for the pipe to be on two seperate systems.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Stupid Question - Piping system types: how to have return piping "stay" as return piping when drawing a bypass pipe?

Union's don't work for that. As I recovery from my brain-f%$t once you place a valve (duh...) you can assign one side as supply and the other as return. God I feel really stupid....
    I hate when REVIT makes a bumbling fool out of me. Guess REVIt is doing just what it should...

Login to Give a bone

opps spoke too soon, this doesn't work.
    Last edited by wboyanton; 2013-07-18 at 07:22 PM.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I've just run across this scenario myself for when I tap outside air into a return air duct. And I have it on a DCW to DTW bypass below an instantaneous water heater. Would definitely like to know a proper method for this.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

This is definitely a frustrating problem that needs to be addressed in the software as soon as possible. Our workaround so far has been to make a union-type connection family that is just a disc with a connector on either side, with the connector set to "other" so it can inherit any system type. It seems to work at this point, but Revit likes to make us eat our workarounds, so we'll see.

Login to Give a bone

Ahh yes, I have run into this problem with ductwork too as described above by Thomas.
    Glad (?) to see I'm not the only one struggling with this one.

Login to Give a bone

At our firm we have implemented a disc type family to separate systems in the past. I am not a big fan of that solution so I do it as little as possible, but there are many times when I am forced into using it.

Login to Give a bone

Any update on this issue ? Using a disc is a quite annoying workaround. When you add one on an existing pipe, it inherit the pipe's system type. If you change system type on one side the other side inherit this new sytem type…
    I don't know how it is in the US but here we almost always have a bypass or splitted loops (same water but different pump).

Login to Give a bone

wboyanton
    we use connectors primarily to separate sanitary waste for sanitary vent which in real life are physically connected. Similar I am sure to the disc mentioned. we put a put a system connector on each side of the extrusion. We also use ours as plumbing fixtures so we are not dependent on the architectural model for fixture identification and scheduling. I am sure that this process could be altered and the be mechanical equipment or any other entity that can host a connector. Hope that is clear as mud. I will gladly send you one of ours if you would like. I was going to attach one here but I don't see that option. So send me an email address if you are interested. sernspiker@luckett-farley.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast