Thread: Fraction Stacking Control

I'm from a town with a great football team.
    Login to Give a bone

Default Fraction Stacking Control

We have several different jobs for several different clients. Some want their fractions stacked diagonal, some horizontal others not stacked at all. There are various other setting requirements as well. I know that I can control fraction stacking and size within a dimension style. I have not been able to find a way to control it within a text style though. Is this not possible? Can this be controlled at the drawing template level or is it a user variable? What happens is that the users get moved from contract to contract and forget to make the changes required to autostack and we end up with a bunch of variations of the stacking. Sometimes within the same drawing.

Thanks.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Fraction Stacking Control

If you have text / numbers separated by a slash "/" or a pound sign "#" or a a caret "^" they can be stacked as fractions / tolerances. In the MTEXT editor, select such text, such as "1/2" and click the stack button. (It's a lowercase b as a fraction over a lowercase a.) Once you have a stacked fraction in front of you, it can be highlighted and you'll get a right-click option for "Stack Properties" that lets you set all of those defaults. Unfortunately, this is a globally-saved preference (a good chunk of MTEXT defaults, including much of those for fractions, are actually saved as registry entries that you'll see if you run "regedit.exe" and search for "stack"); you can't easily set it to always stack diagonal in one template and horizontal in another. What you can do is leave the default properties alone such that using the pound sign as your fraction separator always results in horizontal fractions, and a slash always results in diagonal fractions. Unfortunately, this can still be a PITA for your scenario, as it requires remembering which to use every time.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jason.magon View Post
    ...I know that I can control fraction stacking and size within a dimension style. I have not been able to find a way to control it within a text style though..
    even if there is "Text Fraction" variable you will still need to remember to change the value of this before plotting/etransmit, etc., which would be similar to do a final checking by using "Find and Replace".

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Well, if it was a per-drawing variable, it could be set up in templates appropriately for each client, which would save a lot of hassle for some users (especially folks who specialize in doing contract work for other companies; I've been in that boat, and things like this are quite the hassle).

I'm from a town with a great football team.
    Login to Give a bone

This is why I wonder why there isn't at least the option to control it within the text style as opposed to the user setting that it is now. That way the user could type fractions in the same way every drawing every time and let the style in the template determine how it's to be shown.

Login to Give a bone

That sounds like a very good idea -- why not submit it as a wish list item?