Thread: Rated "Linetype" Symbol Array Issues

Login to Give a bone

Default Rated "Linetype" Symbol Array Issues

I find the fact that Autodesk has not yet incorporated NCS lineypes into Revit beyond maddening! As part of our standardization process I have created a generic line based model that functions as our rated wall linetype designators. My work is based on the complex linetype family found on Autodesk Wiki. The problem is I cannot for the life of me figure out how best to "remove" the rated symbols for "lines" that are less than a certain length. For example if the line is less than say 2'-0" I want to see the model line but not the diamond or label symbols. I have tried to incorporate an IF conditional statement into the array formula but my efforts have failed thus far. Anyone willing to help!?!?!?! Thanks in advance!!!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by 58D Pilot; 2013-08-29 at 04:13 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Rated "Linetype" Symbol Array Issues

Nice start. I tried but having the same problems.

I noticed one thing. When I put over a wall to indicate the wall rating, the wall masks the rating. Do you set your floor plans to wireframe?

Login to Give a bone

Gary, Our standard is to locate the line 6"-12" outside of the wall. We feel that the rating on top of the wall makes the information look muddled. Thanks for looking at it!

All AUGI, all the time CADastrophe's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Create an additional Yes/No (Instance) Parameter for each Symbol (1 hr, 2hr, 3hr, 4hr) and one for the Text Symbol. Call them something like "SymVis1hr". Set the formula for each of these parameters as follows:

Parameter . . . .Formula
    "SymVisTxt" = and(Symbol_Label, Length > 2'-0")
    "SymVis1hr" = and(Symbol_1Hr, Length > 2'-0")
    "SymVis2hr" = and(Symbol_2Hr, Length > 2'-0")
    etc...

Finally, edit each Group and reassign the Visibility to be linked to the corresponding Instance Parameter.

This will allow the Lines to still obey the specified settings defined by their Type Properties, but will create an Instance override to remove them if the Length of the line is 2'-0" or less.
    Last edited by CADastrophe; 2013-08-30 at 03:20 PM.

Login to Give a bone

something I tried and worked was to set the height above the cut plane. Now the line can be inside the wall for enlarged plans. I've also adapted this family to use for walking paths on prelim site plans as well as using it for egress/accessible routes on code compliance plans. Just used different symbols for the different paths.

Login to Give a bone

Gary that's a great idea. I incorporated CADastrophe's array visibility condition into the family a while back (thank you by the way). Im happy to say that my users like the rated linetype as it is really easy to see on plans and works as intended. The only thing left that I would like to modify with this family is to change the extruded 3d "diamond" into an actual piece of 2d annotative content. The issue I ran into was getting an annotative symbol to flex properly with the array formula based on different scales. I don't even know how to approach that one.