Thread: Family Creation

Login to Give a bone

Question Family Creation

Could someone please advise how to lock a parameter/dimension to the centre line of a circular extrusion.

I am attempting to create a company standard air diffuser. Everything else works ok, I have created a circular spigot extrusion that sits on the side of the grille plenum box, I want the top of the spigot to maintain a 20mm offset down from the top of the grille plenum box so when the plenum box length is decreased or increased the spigot moves accordingly maintaining the 20mm offset.

All AUGI, all the time CADastrophe's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Family Creation

Welcome to AUGI!

If the circular extrusion is immobile, then placing a Reference Plane should suffice. If it is mobile, then either create a Reference Plane with applicable constraints to keep it centered on the extrusion or draw a Reference Line across the circular extrusion and then Group them.

If you need more information, I recommend attaching your family file here so that we can provide advice that would be more specific to your situation.

Login to Give a bone

I have attached our work in progress family item for you to look at, Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

These are the steps I took to make this family function:

Front View: I deleted the horizontal Reference Plane centered on the circular extrusion. I set the Work Plane to the face of said extrusion (select Set Work Plane from Home Tab, chose "Pick a Plane", and selected the circle of the extrusion). Then I created a Reference Line horizontally across the center of the circle. Next, I selected the extrusion and edited it, added a radial dimensional constraint, linked it to the appropriate parameter, clicked 'Finish'. I selected both the extrusion and the Reference Line and created a Group. Then I create a dimensional constraint from the top Reference Plane and the Grouped Reference Line, linking it to the appropriate Parameter.

Right View: I deleted the vertical Reference Plane along the face of the circular extrusion. I selected the Group, and then clicked 'Edit Group' on the ribbon. I created a dimensional constraint, clicking first on the exterior vertical face of the extrusion, then on the interior vertical face, and finished the Group. Then I linked it to the appropriate parameter.

If you have any questions or run into any more issues, don't hesitate to ask!
    Last edited by CADastrophe; 2013-09-13 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Sited wrong View; should've been 'Front'

Login to Give a bone

Thank you very much, I think its nearly done. I will test it out and let you know.

Login to Give a bone

I cannot load it into a project. Could you please take a look. Regards
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Hmmmm... The Family seems to very much dislike the Group with a Reference Line in it for whatever reason. Alright, change of strategy (stating from your latest attachment):

Front View: It looks like you used a Reference Plane in the Group instead of a Reference Line, but no matter. Select and delete the Group. In the Project Browser under Groups » Model, delete the 'Spigot Radius' definition. Also delete the random Vertical Reference Plane to the right of the center. Now, create a new Reference Plane horizontally across the middle of the box (doesn't need to be exact). Select it and enter "Spigot" as the Name under Properties. Navigate to the Ref. Level View.

Ref. Level View: Click "Set Work Plane" and select "Spigot" from the list. Create a Sweep Extrusion, click "Sketch Path", start the line at the face of the box, and place the second point straight down well below the rest of the elements. Create a Dimensional Constraint between the lower end point of the Sketch Line and the Reference Plane that controls the bottom face of the box. You can link that to "Spigot Length" and then click Finish Edit Mode (the green check). Click "Edit Profile" and select "Elevation: Front" from the following dialog. Click 'OK'.

Front View: Create a circle stating from the intersection of the Spigot Reference Plane and the Vertical Center Reference Plane. Assign a Radial Constraint and link that to the "Spigot Radius" parameter. Click "Finish Edit Mode" to complete the Profile, and click it again to complete the Sweep. Create a dimensional constraint between the Spigot Reference Plane and the top Reference Plane and link it to the "Spigot Centre" parameter.

You should not run into any more issues, but if you do, just yell!

Login to Give a bone

Thank you very much for your help. Seems to be working OK