Thread: modifier for right-click menu and/or table edit

Thumbs down modifier for right-click menu and/or table edit

I'd like to be able to access the right-click menu (context menu) without having to loose the "right-click is enter" functionality. I could probably switch the buttons on my mouse to do this, but my mouse at work is a standard scroll mouse. I'd like to see a modifier (like for the osnap menu) to activate the menu.

The main reason I need this is to edit tables. So I'd like to also request alternate ways to do that. Almost all the AutoCAD commands can be executed via command line, toolbar button, or menu item. This is the first major functionality (that I'm aware of) that is limited to a feature that not everybody uses (the right-click menu) and that is not available through the standard means.

Right now, I'll probably just have to make a toolbar button to toggle SHORTCUTMENU between 0 and 2.

Lightbulb Re: modifier for right-click menu and/or table edit

While I'm at it, I'd like to request more "Excel-like" functionality (such as being able to set the width of a column numerically, inserted rows/columns should take on the properties of the one above it, etc.)
    Last edited by lcamara; 2005-01-20 at 01:49 AM.

Default Re: modifier for right-click menu and/or table edit

QuikPik (www.manusoft.com) gives you what they call "enhanced right click". I think this is what you are looking for, but not really sure. This quote is from the help menu for QuikPik

Have you disabled context menus in AutoCAD 2000 because they are so annoying? Do you get aggravated when you have to click twice to exit AutoCAD's RTPAN or RTZOOM commands? This feature eliminates the aggravation of context menus without losing their utility. A valuable side-effect of this feature is that the right button functions as a keyboard <Enter> simply by clicking and releasing it quickly (only when the cursor is in the drawing window -- see Extended right click for enacting this behavior outside the drawing window.)
    The enhanced right click feature works by differentiating between a "fast right-click" and a normal right-click. A fast right-click is defined as a right button event where the button is pressed and released in less than one-half the system double-click time interval. When this feature is active, a fast right-click is translated to a keyboard <Enter> just as if the <Enter> button had been pressed on the keyboard.
    In addition, this feature is designed to make right-click context menus activate when the button is pressed instead of when it's released. To do this, QuikPik waits for the button to be released until the fast right-click time interval has expired, then immediately activates the context menu if the button was not released during that interval. Normal operation causes the context menu to appear only after the button is released.
    This feature allows you to fast right-click to get a keyboard <Enter>; or press, drag, and release on a context menu item to select it with only a single click.
    To change the delay interval between pressing the right button and activation of the context menu, change the "double-click speed" setting in the Control Panel 'Mouse' applet.
    AutoCAD 2000-2005 only:
    When drawing objects are selected while no command is active, AutoCAD 2000 has a feature whereby a "fast" right click opens an object-specific context menu, and a "slow" right click (i.e. the button is pressed and held) invokes a drag operation). In order to not interfere with this built-in feature, QuikPik temporarily disables the "Enhanced right click" feature while objects are selected. Due to changes in AutoCAD 2000i, this feature is not necessary in certain cases. In such cases the feature is automatically disabled so as to not interfere with the built-in behavior.
    AutoCAD LT 97 and AutoCAD LT 98 only:
    When the RTCLICKMENU system variable is set to '1' (i.e. "Preferences|Work Space|Right-click mouse button" is set to "Shortcut menu"), the enhanced right click feature is essentially disabled inside the drawing window because the normal context menu is displayed by AutoCAD LT immediately when the button is pressed. When RTCLICKMENU is set to '0' the behavior is identical to AutoCAD R14.
    Not to take away from your wish list item, just a work around maybe??

Quote Originally Posted by lcamara
    I'd like to be able to access the right-click menu (context menu) without having to loose the "right-click is enter" functionality. I could probably switch the buttons on my mouse to do this, but my mouse at work is a standard scroll mouse. I'd like to see a modifier (like for the osnap menu) to activate the menu.

The main reason I need this is to edit tables. So I'd like to also request alternate ways to do that. Almost all the AutoCAD commands can be executed via command line, toolbar button, or menu item. This is the first major functionality (that I'm aware of) that is limited to a feature that not everybody uses (the right-click menu) and that is not available through the standard means.

Right now, I'll probably just have to make a toolbar button to toggle SHORTCUTMENU between 0 and 2.

100 Club

Quote Originally Posted by lcamara
    I'd like to be able to access the right-click menu (context menu) without having to loose the "right-click is enter" functionality.
    Options Dialog > User Preferences Tab > Right-click Customization > Turn on time-sensitive right-click.

Certifiable AUGI Addict robert.1.hall72202's Avatar

Wouldn't it be great to hit a function key or an extra mouse button and get a customizeable menu??? Would just be one more flavor of AutoCad you could use to your liking.

I am so used to QuikPik, I forgot AutoCAD added that functionality . Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by ntaylor
    Options Dialog > User Preferences Tab > Right-click Customization > Turn on time-sensitive right-click.

Smile Re: modifier for right-click menu and/or table edit

I appreciate the pointer to QuikPik, but I'm a little too chicken to try an add-on that messes with basic behavior like that, especially since AutoCAD "supposedly" has the same feature. I did try the time-sensitive right-click (when I saw that after upgrading, I was very excited). But I found that it still slowed me down. I tried messing with various delay settings, but even though the context menu wasn't popping up, it seemed to not register an Enter if I was going too fast. Maybe the overhead was introducing some latency (I keep my left hand on the left side of the keyboard, and my right on the mouse, so if there's a delay in the mouse clicks, it messes up the commands & options). I was testing it on an older workstation, and I'll probably give it another try on a newer computer, but I would think it would be a fairly simple addition to just have a modifier for the menu since you wouldn't need to worry about the overhead for another thread.

Don't be afraid of Quikpik - it's great. I've been using it since R12 days and it's never caused any problems.

Red face Re: modifier for right-click menu and/or table edit

Quote Originally Posted by johnbogie
    Don't be afraid of Quikpik - it's great. I've been using it since R12 days and it's never caused any problems.
    I'll probably give it a try if the table functionality improves, but right now I don't have any need for context menus. Thanks