Thread: Revit Server. What does it mean when RSA says a file is in use for several hours?

I could stop if I wanted to Archman's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Revit Server. What does it mean when RSA says a file is in use for several hours?

Any advice as to why a model would be listed in Revit Server Administrator as being in use for a excessively long period of time? It normnally doesn't cause any problems for the end users, but it does prevent locking the server using the command line. This has proved troublesome for scripted administratve tasks such as backing up the data.
    RSA_Error.jpg

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Server. What does it mean when RSA says a file is in use for several hours?

Quote Originally Posted by Archman View Post
    Any advice as to why a model would be listed in Revit Server Administrator as being in use for a excessively long period of time? It normnally doesn't cause any problems for the end users, but it does prevent locking the server using the command line. This has proved troublesome for scripted administratve tasks such as backing up the data.
    RSA_Error.jpg
    If it helps to look through some of the more common errors and problems you can check and see if yours is here: Revit Server Issues

But also, have you tried the most simple thing like a full restart of each of the Revit Servers?
    Last edited by SRobbins1977; 2013-09-24 at 11:08 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Server. What does it mean when RSA says a file is in use for several hours?

I have not done a restart of the servers as that would be somewhat disruptive to the designers using it. However, it seems to be related to linked Revit files. Sometimes it seems to lock a linked model for some reason and not release it. I'm not sure why yet.

Login to Give a bone

I have not done a restart of the servers as that would be somewhat disruptive to the designers using it. However, it seems to be related to linked Revit files. Sometimes it seems to lock a linked model for some reason and not release it. I'm not sure why yet.
    I agree on it being disruptive. If we need to do any restarts we usually do them at 1am-2am when most of the country is asleep. May be worth asking IT if they can. I hope it all works out for you.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

RSA_Error.jpg
    Steve, I interpret the screen shot to mean that TAW and TNICHOLSON were the last people to synchronize in the models. And, that they are still in the model. The Revit Server tool will not be able to lock the model if people are in the model. We make sure all the teams know they need to be out of the project, during the backup period (using the Revit Server tool); otherwise, they may be impeding the backup process.

I do not know of a way to keep users off of Revit Server in this case.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by meng005 View Post
    Steve, I interpret the screen shot to mean that TAW and TNICHOLSON were the last people to synchronize in the models. And, that they are still in the model. The Revit Server tool will not be able to lock the model if people are in the model. We make sure all the teams know they need to be out of the project, during the backup period (using the Revit Server tool); otherwise, they may be impeding the backup process.

I do not know of a way to keep users off of Revit Server in this case.
    Thank you for the comment. I have verified that no one is actually in the model at the time. Revit server seems to be maintaining some sort of orphaned lock for a period of time. I'm really looking for why a lock might remain on a file after someone closes it.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Thank you for the comment. I have verified that no one is actually in the model at the time. Revit server seems to be maintaining some sort of orphaned lock for a period of time. I'm really looking for why a lock might remain on a file after someone closes it.
    Revit Server needs to lock the model during the File Open or Synch to Central actions. It uses the lock file, which serves as a token to keep track of who is locking the model, and who is waiting in line to open or synch. If the session connection gets disrupted during this time, the lock file will become orphaned. This can freeze the model of anyone opening the model or synchronizing.

Network disruptions, Revit crashing, unstable network, etc. can cause an orphaned model lock. If this happens frequently (once a day or more), then I recommend that you re-create the Central model. Otherwise, verify the network is stable, and users are not connecting via wireless.

Releasing the orphaned lock can be done by deleting or renaming the orphaned lock file. Autodesk does not recommend this step, however, this has been effective for us.