See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Books for Drafters?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Books for Drafters?

I recently had the folowing question posed to me on my Blog:

‘Hi are you able to advice me on a course book that would give me all the correct information to produce a high standard joinery drawing that would then be sent off for approval’
    You can read my asnwer here:
    Must have CAD books for Drafters http://cadso.co/GYf5MP
    I thought it would be interesting to open this question up. What books have you read, which books to you turn to when you get stuck? Do you even read books ant more - do you prefer videos or the internet?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Books for Drafters?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Munford View Post
    I recently had the folowing question posed to me on my Blog:

‘Hi are you able to advice me on a course book that would give me all the correct information to produce a high standard joinery drawing that would then be sent off for approval’
    You can read my asnwer here:
    Must have CAD books for Drafters http://cadso.co/GYf5MP
    I thought it would be interesting to open this question up. What books have you read, which books to you turn to when you get stuck? Do you even read books ant more - do you prefer videos or the internet?
    I prefer the internet, but,I have kept all my old discipline specific college textbooks, and occasionally reference The AutoCAD Bible for tips.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

For Architectural, anything by Francis Ching is a useful resource. I'm still hoping to trip across an older version of Architectural Graphics Standards(Ramsey Sleeper) in a used bookstore - the new volumes are not as useful as they could be - not at that price.

For civil drafting, I'm still looking for a really good book. I've bought a couple, but nothing that really struck me as viable resources. Partially from technology changes, partially from the wide variance about what is required in different jurisdictions. If anyone has recommendations, I'd like to see them. Same for cartography as it intersects with CAD.

For a historical perspective, "A Manual of engineering Drawing for Students and Draftsmen" by Thomas French, M.E. is a worthwhile read - noting that the copyright date on the 2nd edition is 1918, and the information about dressing ruling pens and protecting ink from green-bottle flies is a tad bit obsolete.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    For Architectural, anything by Francis Ching is a useful resource. I'm still hoping to trip across an older version of Architectural Graphics Standards(Ramsey Sleeper) in a used bookstore - the new volumes are not as useful as they could be - not at that price.

For civil drafting, I'm still looking for a really good book. I've bought a couple, but nothing that really struck me as viable resources. Partially from technology changes, partially from the wide variance about what is required in different jurisdictions. If anyone has recommendations, I'd like to see them. Same for cartography as it intersects with CAD.

For a historical perspective, "A Manual of Engineering Drawing for Students and Draftsmen" by Thomas French, M.E. is a worthwhile read - noting that the copyright date on the 2nd edition is 1918, and the information about dressing ruling pens and protecting ink from green-bottle flies is a tad bit obsolete.
    I have the seventh edition of that book, as revised by Charles J. Vierck, from 1947. That still has information on ruling pens and ink, but also includes such cutting-edge technology as the Ames lettering instrument, for drawing lettering guidelines. (I have one of those, somewhere.)

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

You can get the 1981 hard cover edition of Arch Graphic Standards from Alibris.com for $20 plus shipping.

For pure drafting information I still refer to my 1970 Fifth Edition of Technical Drawing, Giesecke, Mitchell, Spencer, Hill. You can get that on Alibris.com for a few dollars. I like the older editions because the newer ones have way too many irrelevant pictures, colors, etc. The older ones are just B&W and so I guess are better suited to my older brain.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks very much for your suggestions, interestingly “Technical Drawing” by Giesecke and ”A Manual of engineering Drawing for Students and Draftsmen” by Thomas French where also recommended by the chaps on facebook.

Francis Ching's books are beautifully illustrated, but lean toward 'design drawings' rather than 'technical drawings' IMHO

I added your recommendations in the comments here:
    http://cadsetterout.com/reviews/must...-for-drafters/

Login to Give a bone

even technical drawings can aspire towards beauty. and for that, Ching is inspirational. fundamentally, if one is going to draw for a living, one needs to understand how to draw.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I agree. my point is that a 'technical drawing' needs to be accurate and unambiguous. A design drawing also needs to be persuasive.

Similar tools for different jobs...

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I can not remember the title of my drafting text book from 1985 at the technical that I went to, now I need to go look for it. I do remember after getting autocad ver 2.6 for dos. we went back to that book and dong some of the drawings that did on board and put them to cad. we hung both board and cad work of each item for comparison. our cad lab from money by the state, and we use the drawings to prove to the state officials that cad was the future. I will try to find the book this weekend for you.

Login to Give a bone

If interested in older styles, W.T. Comstock's 1881 "Modern Architectural Designs and Details" has been reprinted by Dover Publications. As has "Woodwards National Architect", 1869 original date of publication. Both are examples of excellent drafting with high aesthetic value. Of course in that less litigious era, a designer could rely in a high level of craftsmanship and skill on the builder's part. Unlike this modern era, where some crews seem to be bent on curing last night's hangover with this morning's doobie.