Thread: Inventor "too perfect", how to close corners in sheet metal?

Login to Give a bone

Default Inventor "too perfect", how to close corners in sheet metal?

We used flat, 2D wireframe not really accounting for metal thicknesses in AutoCAD for a long time, we would test a part and if it wasn't the right size we would adjust the break lines until we had a feel for how to draw parts and get the results we wanted.

Then when it came to flanges, for a 1 inch flange, we would offset our break line 1" and put a 1" x 1" chamfer on it.

Well now we are trying to use Inventor, and Inventor will not let you put a 1" chamfer on a 1" flange because it's "Physically impossible". Also, it has to use some sort of relief even if you tell it to tear because two flanges can't occupy the same space!

Well the problem is, when we were doing it in AutoCAD we were breaking the laws of what is possible, and when our welding department would get the parts they would beat the corners in with a hammer to make them nice and pretty and force the parts together. I sent them a prototype of what I made with Inventor with all the pretty reliefs and now we have big ugly holes that we can't have in the corners, sure they are only a metal thickness or so but they are visible and don't pass QC.

So is there something I'm doing wrong, or is that a limitation of Inventor? Is there any way to work around it without having to go in and manually remove the bend reliefs in my CAM software after I export the flat patterns? I'm trying to switch to Inventor to save time, not use up more.

I haven't had any sheet metal Inventor training and I'm the "experienced one" when it comes to Inventor at work, so there is nobody for me to ask other than you guys. I don't really have any clue how to really manage all the sheet metal properties, I just left them default for the most part except for the metal thickness.

I did a pack and go with my assembly, I'm not sure if anyone can open it, I've got lots of parameters, rules, and a form, so I don't know how it will transfer. But if you are able to look at the assembly, look at the corners were the pieces of metal come together, I can't have any visible daylight showing through!

Thanks,
    Daniel
    Attached Files Attached Files

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Inventor "too perfect", how to close corners in sheet metal?

I think there is a much better way to model the parts - I will try to remember to post an example tomorrow.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Inventor "too perfect", how to close corners in sheet metal?

Okay, thanks.