See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: transitioning from LDD to Civil 3D 2014.... any words of wisdom to get me started?

Login to Give a bone

Default transitioning from LDD to Civil 3D 2014.... any words of wisdom to get me started?

I was just hired as a temp to help an engineering/survey company to transition from LDD to Civil 3D 2014 which includes setting up styles or toolspaces or whatever it's called in 2014. I am a bit rusty with civil survey and site design but I last worked with LDD/3D companion for about 3 years, I've had a 3 day training course on Civil 3D 2010 but we didn't address toolspaces or styles so I know the general layout of C3D. Does anyone out there have any advice on where I should start? I have about 6 weeks to get this transition completed, I know once I get on a roll I'll be up and running but would like some literature, guidance, tips or anything to help me out of the gate. Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: transitioning from LDD to Civil 3D 2014.... any words of wisdom to get me started?

You should try to browse on Internet.

Will get more and more result and then browse for the review, and then let be updated and do the what you wish!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: transitioning from LDD to Civil 3D 2014.... any words of wisdom to get me started?

Quote Originally Posted by mbell901273090 View Post
    I was just hired as a temp to help an engineering/survey company to transition from LDD to Civil 3D 2014 which includes setting up styles or toolspaces or whatever it's called in 2014. I am a bit rusty with civil survey and site design but I last worked with LDD/3D companion for about 3 years, I've had a 3 day training course on Civil 3D 2010 but we didn't address toolspaces or styles so I know the general layout of C3D. Does anyone out there have any advice on where I should start? I have about 6 weeks to get this transition completed, I know once I get on a roll I'll be up and running but would like some literature, guidance, tips or anything to help me out of the gate. Thanks!
    I'd check out the courses from Autodesk University. They should be popular topics.

http://forums.augi.com/forumdisplay....Infrastructure
    http://forums.augi.com/forumdisplay....Infrastructure

I thought there were some transitional or beginning C3D articles in the library from AUGIWorld, but, I don't see any tagged that way.
    http://www.augi.com/library/category/autocad-civil-3d

This document from Autodesk might help:
    http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/file...dt_to_c3d0.pdf
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mbell901273090 View Post
    Definitely check out the tutorials and help... besides the styles I was able to figure out how to create the topo, add in property lines and road alignments, and even road profiles my first day using the program. Your gonna love how the road profiles are created btw! No more using coordinates to create the profile. I had about 7 years working in LDD/CDD....it comes to you pretty quickly.
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

Login to Give a bone

RUN! Run as far away as you can as fast as you can!

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

My question is are you creating the styles? Are any styles setup besides what comes pre-installed? Does the company have text styles, dimension styles and multileader styles created? Are they annotative?

With your answer to those questions you have 40 hours a week * 6 weeks = 240 hours. For someone who is familiar with Civil 3D that would be hard to do setting up all of the styles.

How big is the company? What range of work are they designing, survey, subdivisions, pipelines, etc?

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by peter.brown8853440782 View Post
    RUN! Run as far away as you can as fast as you can!
    Those were exactly my thoughts when I read the initial post! Why do we put up with software that costs thousands of dollars a seat and yet is almost useless out of the box, costing many more thousands of dollars to make it usable, even though it remains clumsy and difficult? Would we endure this with our Office software? I think not. So why do we keep coming back to AutoDesk? I don't work for any of the other CAD companies. I'm just a user fed up with the problems with C3D after 3 years of trying to use it. Anybody have similar thoughts?