Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AutoCAD HELP Survey

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD HELP Survey

yeah, the hardbound 2011 book was much better for throwing across the room at the guy who thought exploding associative dims was a bright idea.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    at the guy who thought exploding associative dims was a bright idea.
    ...or deleting the dimension contents and typing in what you WANT it to say...
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dgorsman View Post
    Stupid question time: does it put ATTACH at the top if you brutally mispell it?
    Good question.
    I get ZERO results when I misspell it by making the string longer (for example: ATTACHH, or ATTACCH)

If I make the string shorter by removing a letter (ATTAC), then I get the same long list of results.

It seems like they are taking the input string and adding a wildcard to the end and then simply iterating the topics (in who knows what order...?) and returning a list of any topics that contain the search string.

Both LINE & ARC return the same random looking results.
    A search for CIRCLE however gives me the CIRCLE command as the number 1 item.
    A search for "3d polyline" returns the top 2 answers of "Getting Started" and "Glossary".... aaaarrrggggg....
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I've got a few ideas about how that ordering is being done, and if I'm right... for the sake of grey (if any) hair, I hope I'm not.

Login to Give a bone

hey. at least there's a Glossary........ maybe someday there'll be a ToC

Login to Give a bone

AutoCAD help is more of a pain than anything else.
    It is slow, the search is useless and what results you get are often annoyingly cryptic.
    I've known people physically remove the F1 key to prevent it accidentally popping.

I get far better results from searching AUGI and the official adesk forum

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tedg View Post
    I used to have a release 11 book (a long time ago), I loaned it to somone and never saw it again.
    I was using R14 at the time so I didn't really care, ...would be nice to have back though.
    For years, I kept the ALL the R10, R11 and R12 manual sets (and uStn and others) but, eventually, they had to go.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tedg View Post
    I used to have a release 11 book (a long time ago), I loaned it to somone and never saw it again.
    I was using R14 at the time so I didn't really care, ...would be nice to have back though.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok View Post
    For years, I kept the ALL the R10, R11 and R12 manual sets (and uStn and others) but, eventually, they had to go.
    I still have a full set of R12 hardcopy manuals, and do make reference to the Customization and LISP manuals that are part of that semi-frequently. (It seems that the need to write a custom hatch pattern spaces itself out just long enough that I have to teach myself how to do so all over again each time. The material is in the on line help, but for that topic in particular, I find having the instructions printed, in book form, much easier to use, even after I finally got a second monitor).

I vented about the current on-line Help in a recent blog article, if anyone here feels the need to validate her or his own frustration by reading about mine.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dkoch View Post
    I still have a full set of R12 hardcopy manuals, and do make reference to the Customization and LISP manuals that are part of that semi-frequently. (It seems that the need to write a custom hatch pattern spaces itself out just long enough that I have to teach myself how to do so all over again each time. The material is in the on line help, but for that topic in particular, I find having the instructions printed, in book form, much easier to use, even after I finally got a second monitor).

I vented about the current on-line Help in a recent blog article, if anyone here feels the need to validate her or his own frustration by reading about mine.
    David, well stated. I agree with your assessment... especially the contents tab. (sorry, I would've commiserated on your blog, but, blogs are blocked here and I had to use google cache to read the post, so am unable to reply. lol.)
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

AUGI Addict
    (getpoint "Anywhere on the Enter Key =>")
    Login to Give a bone

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123